Another Airline?

Lonan3

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like Rockhopper is something completely different to Aurigny - per previous story on BBC web site:-

Channel Island airline Rockhopper has announced it will replace the routes abandoned by its rival Aurigny.

The move comes after Aurigny's decision to stop its services between Jersey, Alderney and Dinard in France.

Aurigny, which is owned by Guernsey's States, has been facing competition from Rockhopper on a number of routes.

The two airlines have clashed over Rockhopper's entry to the market, which Aurigny claims has done "nothing" to stimulate it.

more at:-http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/guernsey/3638730.stm

I seem to remember the old Manx Airlines tried the Island to Jersey route a few years back and it lasted one summer season. As far as Euromanx is concerned the prophets of doom have had it shutting up shop every day for the past couple of years but it appears to soldiers on. The problem for the Euromanx commentators is that nobody seems to know what it is up to or where it is going (from a business viewpoint) which, in one sense, is no bad thing given the pressure air services are under at present - but my contacts in the airline don't seem to know anything either as little or no information comes down from management. It claims to be the Island's airline and it is given that it is actually resident and employs a number of locals (and not so local judging by some of the accents of the crews) but it has been swamped by incoming airlines.

"It said the Isle of Man route will be scheduled to fit in with inter-island services for Guernsey and Alderney"

Maybe someone should point out, on the map, to Rockhopper Executives, that the IoM is not the Io Wight. Otherwise it is going to be a long haul on an Islander / Trilander. Refuel stop at Cardiff?

PS Has Alpha 1 started operating or not?

"It said the Isle of Man route will be scheduled to fit in with inter-island services for Guernsey and Alderney"

Maybe someone should point out, on the map, to Rockhopper Executives, that the IoM is not the Io Wight. Otherwise it is going to be a long haul on an Islander / Trilander. Refuel stop at Cardiff?

PS Has Alpha 1 started operating or not?

The BBC report says that they will be acquiring BAe Jetstream aircraft, specifically for this route.

It's all very well, praising new airlines, wishing Easy Jet would come here, slagging the Steam Packet etc, I have just flown to Liverpool yesterday at 07.00 and back from Liverpool tonight at 17.35 with Aer Arran, the flights were on time which is more than I can say when I have flown Euromanx/Emerald, but......... On the way out there were 6 people on board and on the way back tonight there were 11, I think the capacity of the aircraft, an ATR42 something or other is about 48 people. Maybe other flights are better patronised?

This does not make much economic sense as a business proposition and to be honest I can't see the service lasting long if these meagre payloads continue and this is to Liverpool, one of the main gateways from the Island, not some obscure southern sea port like Southampton.

Mr C-W

I don't believe that you will find any aviation professionals here on the Island who would not agree that there is massive over-capacity in air services to and from Ronaldsway. The current level of servicese is, in my estimation, unsustainable. Of course, competition is a 'good thing' and keeps operators on their toes. However, some airlines, and I would include Aer Arran in this group, have wrongly assumed that there is a fast buck to be made on the Island and this illusion has been encouraged by naive 'policies' promoted by Government. 'Open Skies' has lead to nothing but uncertainty for operators and the instability of services.

Manx Airlines (and I don't wish to open a retrospective debate on the merits or otherwise of the old company) sustained services with 4 aircraft to nearly all the destinations currently flown to by the myriad of operators currently at Ronaldsway. There are too many seats and not enough posteriors to fill them with the current level of services and one or more of the current Island operators will go.

It's all very well, praising new airlines, wishing Easy Jet would come here, slagging the Steam Packet etc, I have just flown to Liverpool yesterday at 07.00 and back from Liverpool tonight at 17.35 with Aer Arran, the flights were on time which is more than I can say when I have flown Euromanx/Emerald, but......... On the way out there were 6 people on board and on the way back tonight there were 11, I think the capacity of the aircraft, an ATR42 something or other is about 48 people. Maybe other flights are better patronised?

This does not make much economic sense as a business proposition and to be honest I can't see the service lasting long if these meagre payloads continue and this is to Liverpool, one of the main gateways from the Island, not some obscure southern sea port like Southampton.

Not all Easyjet/Ryanair routes operate twice a day every day. Quieter routes may only operate once a week - check out their website. If they even just did one flight a week between Stansted and Ronaldsway they'd do alright - and so would the island.

Not all Easyjet/Ryanair routes operate twice a day every day. Quieter routes may only operate once a week - check out their website. If they even just did one flight a week between Stansted and Ronaldsway they'd do alright - and so would the island.

If EasyJet, Ryanair or any more airlines come to the IOM - regardless of their frequency and ports that they operate from/to - some of the existing IOM operators would cease to operate!!! The IOM has a limited market and is currently served by 10 operators. Is that in the best interest of the Island, its people, the local economy, employment, investment etc

Archived