Another Airline?

Lonan3

Aer Arran have only just started the route to Liverpool. I went Euromanx to Liverpool the other day; when I booked it Aer Arran hadn't announced their Liverpool route. If they had I would have checked for their times/prices. I'm sure Aer Arran will pick up. Remember Euromanx using 8 seater planes for their very first Liverpool flights?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
who really wants to go to southampton when you can go to bristol with eastern.

Somebody who wants to get to Southampton?

You could say the same about motorways. I mean who wants to take the M1 and end up in Yorkshire when you could take the M6 and go to Liverpool.

Aer Arran has been on the Liverpool route since the end of October. It has been commercial opportunism which has brought them to the Island due to difficulties the airline is facing in its own backyard - and commercial arrogance to think it can move in to an airport and kick everybody out. Euromanx is every bit as competitive as Aer Arran pricewise and it is a very long time ago that the Euros used an 8 seater. I note that the new service from Jersey will route via Bournemouth to and fro. I hope their seat cushions are comfortable.

Bourenmouth? Now there is a dive of an airport if ever there was one!

Why can't they fly direct? I've flown direct from Guernsey before.

Rockhopper used to be known as Le Cocqs, it started life as an extention to a supermarket, it was set-up to operate flights for perishable foods for the shop. Unlike Euromanx it has grown slowly and has matched aircraft to traffic demands. It has been very much marginalised by the big boys and so developed thin routes such as Bournmouth/Jersey/Guernsey. (They used to offer year long parking at Bournemouth so you could leave a car there if you were a frequent flyer).

So the planned route IOM/BOH/JER+GCI would be great for point-to-point and for the south east UK incl. Southampton.

Some of the flights of Alpha One have flown, others haven't.

If easyJet were to open a route from IOM they would want to operate one of their regular aircraft full to the gills and the runway at Rondalsway is too short. But the market might be there, when you consider about 75,000 population and 750,000 passengers p/a out of Ronaldsway. That's what I call 'air minded' people.

Further to my previous post regarding passenger numbers on flights, I have just returned from Dublin today with Euromanx, on the 32 seat Dornier aircraft there were 6 paying passengers. Hardly a recipe for making money, I suppose with these services it's a case of use them or lose them, the airlines aren't going to keep flying unprofitable routes for too long.

Yes, sadly I agree, whilst competition is normally very good (although lacking in most areas on this rock), there seems to be presently a bit too much on the airline routes.

If the runway extension is ever completed, then at least the standard 737s or A320s could offer direct services to mainland europe and the likes of easyjet/ryanair a few times a week service to London.

Although, no doubt the already high aiport taxes would go up to cover the cost. Officially the standard rate of of APD is still £5 within Uk/Europe. The next way to decrease fares has to be to reduce the 'taxes' wich can vary between £10 and £50 on a return flight from here.(Never mind VLM's £4 'service charge'!)

We will wait and see?

Yesterday, booked to fly with AirArran 7 am Liverpool, checked in only to be told that the flight has been scrubbed only 3 booked on (no cheap tickets on this flight either), had to pay for a ticket 7.20 Euro Manx whos flight was operated by Emerald and this plane was empty to, how cant they make the service pay, why have 3 flights by different operators at the same time.

Last Thursday on 6 passengers on the flight to Birmingham

Rockhoppers website tells the story of how one of their staff saved the life of someone at Bournmouth Airport by administering CPR. Well done, that lady. Rockhoppers' report on the event shows they are a company with more than just a little foresight, so they are sure to succeed: Quote;

"A sixty four year old man from Bournemouth is to meet the woman who saved his life tomorrow while on a special trip to Alderney."

Mr C-M........thus witnessing in the flesh my point about the over capacity in seats to and from the Island.

Gags........Don't be confused about the 'runway extension'. The proposed extension will not physically alter the dimensions of the existing runway but it will add sufficient distance to overun areas thereby complying with current requirements. Euromanx already has the jet hardware here on the Island to fly deep into Europe - southern Spain would probably be within reach - so perhaps a letter to the boss at Euromanx might be the way to go.

Crumlin.........Emerald and Euromanx realised quite early on this year that there was no room for 2 airlines on the Liverpool route and came to an arrangement whereby the route would be ceded to Euromanx but operated by Emerald aircraft and crews. Of course, Arran has tried to muscle in on the arrangement but they, too, will soon realise that there is, indeed, only room for one on the Liverpool route. ;)

Crumlin.........Emerald and Euromanx realised quite early on this year that there was no room for 2 airlines on the Liverpool route and came to an arrangement whereby the route would be ceded to Euromanx but operated by Emerald aircraft and crews. Of course, Arran has tried to muscle in on the arrangement but they, too, will soon realise that there is, indeed, only room for one on the Liverpool route. ;)

Different story on Fridays & Sundays / Mondays - they are the full flights.

IOM airport continues to see passenger numbers rise so that seems to contradict your points......without capactiy there is no room to expand and therefore numbers would be stagnant.

So the issue is how the airlines price their seats. They have the capacity and have limited success at increasing numbers but arent getting volumes Tues through to Thurs.

Fridays & Sundays / Mondays is not enough to keep an airline or a route going. The number of passengers going through the airport is increasing but the growth is now marginal (actually declining on some routes if you look at the stats on the airport site). As has been said a million times before on this forum - so I'll say it again- there is a finite limit on passenger numbers the Island can generate and I'll say it again; there are too many seats for current demand.

Fridays & Sundays / Mondays is not enough to keep an airline or a route going.

why would the consumer care whether the airline keeps going ? the consumer will just travel with the airline that operates the lowest fares.

the major routes to london, dublin, mancheester, liverpool will always be operated by someone

the major routes to london, dublin, mancheester, liverpool will always be operated by someone

OMG - Cheesemonster is using radio waves for brain control :o Quick, get me my foil hat! :)

Archived