Another Airline?

Lonan3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering - is Alpha One actually operating now? Or is "Branson jr." grounded?

Just haven't really heard or seen anything, and there are no Alpha One flights on the IOM airport website - at least not under their name and for today...

edited to add: Lonan - veeeeeeery funny.....

I think it's wishful thinking to imagine why Easyjet or Ryanair would operate flights to/from here. There is just not the amount of business to justify it. The only way I could see that they might consider it is that they would want to move their head offices here and pay less tax. For Ryanair that'll never happen as they want to build a second terminal specifically for themselves at Dublin airport and they would lose significant backing if they were to move. Then again Michael O'Leary would make mincemeat out of the Manx politicans so he could get any concession he wanted... Don't know enough about Easyjet to comment.

I think it's wishful thinking to imagine why Easyjet or Ryanair would operate flights to/from here. There is just not the amount of business to justify it. The only way I could see that they might consider it is that they would want to move their head offices here and pay less tax. For Ryanair that'll never happen as they want to build a second terminal specifically for themselves at Dublin airport and they would lose significant backing if they were to move. Then again Michael O'Leary would make mincemeat out of the Manx politicans so he could get any concession he wanted... Don't know enough about Easyjet to comment.

Yes but they wouldn't need to be offering daily flights. Many of the Ryanair destinations only fly once or twice a week due to demand.

I seem to recall reading re: Ryanair that says they will only continue a route if it is making a profit and every flight is at least 80% full. The once a week flights you refer to are generally when a route first opens. If the route is profitable they expand it - if not it's axed. If you read their strategy paper you'll see that their model is based on frequent short haul flights. "In the fiscal year ended March 31, 2004, Ryanair flew an average of approximately 1.83 round-trips per route per day with an average route length of 491 miles and an average flight duration of approximately 1.2 hours. " http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php

Anyway we're talking in circles. It'll never happen.

What about the idea of using the airlines like a bus. For instance, on these flights that are 2/3rds empty, let people just go down to the airport and buy a ticket at a nominal fee, say £5.00 cheaper than the cheapest ticket (Euromanx IOM to Liverpool return £30.00 would then be £25.00 return) and go on the plane, no booking in advance just buy your ticket and walk on. The planes are going to fly anyway so better that they fly full at £25 than empty. Just a thought, it might encourage more people to be spontaneous! If you can't get on the plane you turn up for because it's full, you go on the next one.

What about the idea of using the airlines like a bus. For instance, on these flights that are 2/3rds empty, let people just go down to the airport and buy a ticket at a nominal fee, say £5.00 cheaper than the cheapest ticket (Euromanx IOM to Liverpool return £30.00 would then be £25.00 return) and go on the plane, no booking in advance just buy your ticket and walk on. The planes are going to fly anyway so better that they fly full at £25 than empty. Just a thought, it might encourage more people to be spontaneous! If you can't get on the plane you turn up for because it's full, you go on the next one.

It makes a lot of sense and that's how it should work but it'll never happen because the budget airlines rely on people booking wellin advance. If they starting offering low fares on the day of travel their business plan would be fucked.

It makes a lot of sense and that's how it should work but it'll never happen because the budget airlines rely on people booking wellin advance. If they starting offering low fares on the day of travel their business plan would be fucked.

Is Euromanx classed as a "budget airline" then? I just thought they were an ordinary airline that had reasonable prices. Aer Arann could do it as well. I wasn't thinking about Easyjet or Ryanaire or any of those airlines. Just the local ones from here, perhaps they could lead the way for a change.

Is Euromanx classed as a "budget airline" then?

Well I've just tried to book with Euromanx for 2 adults to fly to London City midweek in April (11 weeks away) - out on a Wednesday and back on a Thursday...

Published Fare - All prices include airport taxes.

Total Price GBP 794.00 (inc tax + fees)

Price Per Person GBP 358.00 per Adult, tax GBP 30.00 per Adult, fee GBP 9.00 per Adult

Well outside my budget and I guess most peoples. Not a budget airline by any stretch of the imagination.

By comparison I just did a quick check on the BA site for flights at the same time.

2 adults IoM to Tenerife via LGW - Total £ 580.60 Including Taxes

2 Adults IoM to New York via LGW - Total £ 884.20 Including Taxes

2 Adults IoM to Dubai via LGW - Total £ 953.20 Including Taxes

Is Euromanx classed as a "budget airline" then?

Well I've just tried to book with Euromanx for 2 adults to fly to London City midweek in April (11 weeks away) - out on a Wednesday and back on a Thursday...

Published Fare - All prices include airport taxes.

Total Price GBP 794.00 (inc tax + fees)

Price Per Person GBP 358.00 per Adult, tax GBP 30.00 per Adult, fee GBP 9.00 per Adult

Well outside my budget and I guess most peoples. Not a budget airline by any stretch of the imagination.

Looks a bit very pricy, that....

I've just looked up a flight to Munich in autumn - IOM-LGW/LHR-MUC, going back MUC-LHR/LGW-IOM - £ 177.90 all in, and that's 4 flights in total, with BA!

BTW: Is Alpha One operating now?

BTW: Is Alpha One operating now?

My work colleague tried to book a couple of flights with them next week and before he could reach the end of the sentence the person who answered said "we havent got any flights at all".

By comparison I just did a quick check on the BA site for flights at the same time.

I always book a few months in advance, Zurich <=> LGW <=> IOM <=> LGW <=> Zurich for April 2006 cost me CHF 652 or about GBP 280.

If you use the BA website always look at the legs individually as well as combined, on my last visit I saved a bundle by booking Zurich <=> LGW and LGW <=> IOM as two tickets rather all together.

IMHO BA runs an excellent service from my point of view, my first choice cariier.

The prices you quote are not at all bad considering the stiff increases in fuel.

I always book a few months in advance, Zurich <=> LGW <=> IOM <=> LGW <=> Zurich for April 2006 cost me CHF 652 or about GBP 280.

If you use the BA website always look at the legs individually as well as combined, on my last visit I saved a bundle by booking Zurich <=> LGW and LGW <=> IOM as two tickets rather all together.

IMHO BA runs an excellent service from my point of view, my first choice cariier.

The prices you quote are not at all bad considering the stiff increases in fuel.

The EuroStinks prices you quote are absurd though, that's not a service at all :angry:

Archived