Another Airline?

Lonan3

Yep, I was pricing up a weeks trip to Berlin this Feb and IOM - Berlin return with BA all the way - £172. Bargain!

Edit: I rang Alpha One about an Edinburgh flight they do, but they said they're not flying until early Feb

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could get back to the IoM from Warsaw in April with BA at 218GBP return. (WAW-LHR-LGW-IOM)

Or for 103GBP return with Wizz Air and Aer Arann (WAW-LPL-IOM).

Both fares include taxes.

Flying has never been this cheap :)

And the internet makes booking a doddle. BTW I thought the EuroManx Charlie on MR on Sunday (before the moanin line) was a right plonker, couldn't answer very simple questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems, they're still not getting off the ground:

AIRLINE GROUNDED

ALPHA One Airways has been grounded temporarily because of a Civil Aviation Authority directive.

The airline has had a turbulent start since it announced plans to fly between the Island and Southampton, Blackpool and Edinburgh in October.

The company, set up by teenager Martin Halstead, made its maiden flight from Southampton to Ronaldsway in November, but the launch of the airline was delayed a month and the route altered because of staff training problems.

Mr Halstead, 19, said: 'A new CAA directive has forced us to get traffic collision avoidance systems fitted to our aircraft earlier than we had originally anticipated.

'As a result, our fleet has had to remain in the hangar at Coventry Airport while the work, which costs upwards of £150,000 per aircraft, is carried out.

'Both planes are now nearing the completion of the fit and will be redelivered to the airline within the next few weeks.'

The company will announce its relaunch plans soon and resume its Isle of Man to Edinburgh schedule. It also plans to extend its route network to include Leeds and Cardiff and has withdrawn its Southampton route.

So far the company has made just under 20 flights between the Island and Edinburgh and carried 37 passengers in December.

Mr Halstead has also announced he will be moving to live in Castletown in the coming weeks.

Er..does anyone think they'll ever get really up and running?

The company will announce its relaunch plans soon and resume its Isle of Man to Edinburgh schedule. It also

Mr Halstead has also announced he will be moving to live in Castletown in the coming weeks.[/i]

Er..does anyone think they'll ever get really up and running?

Even more important - will he be fencing off part of the garden to prevent people watching him have his breakfast? :ph34r:

Particularly worried about this bit:

Mr Halstead, 19, said: 'A new CAA directive has forced us to get traffic collision avoidance systems fitted to our aircraft earlier than we had originally anticipated.

So he obviously wasn't going to bother fitting them until forced ... hmmm.

• 1 month later...

look s like it's all over- shame, but always thought there wasn't enough demand on that route

A teenage entrepreneur, who planned to operate a regular air service between the Isle of Man and Edinburgh has been "grounded, after losing tens of thousands of pounds", according to a United Kingdom national newspaper.

Today's Mail on Sunday says 19 year old Martin Halstead, who gave up his A-levels to set up Alpha One Airways, three months ago, admitted losing "a considerable amount" of his own money.

However, according to the paper, he insisted his four times a day service would be back on track once an aircraft with a new safety system was delivered.

The electronic anti-collision system is required under EU airline rules.

Alpha One was due to start services in November, but Mr Halstead's plans were delayed, due to problems setting up the operation.

always thought there wasn't enough demand on that route.

As I understand it there was no shortage of demand for this route. In fact I was told by an ex-Alphaone employee that a couple of other airlines are now looking at the route.

The issue Alphaone faced was lack of capital to finance the start-up, basically Halstead had about £600k and that wasn't enought to make a go of it.

At least this one is a fairly well established Island carrier. It could be good news.

Much better than that 12 year old kid who thinks he's Richard Branson who didn't seem to realise where the Isle of Man was and then did about four flights before disappearing up his own arse.

The Island needs a good reliable carrier that will fly in all weathers just like the Channel islands.

It seem we have another airline servicing the Island. American Airlines are now doing IOM>Man. and IOM>Gat

Wrong, it's called code sharing, Airlines do it all the time, you will be ticketed by AA for instance and it will show an AA flight number but it will be a BA flight with a BA flight number also.

Thanks for the reply to this, but last weeks published arrivals at Ronaldsway gave two AA flight arrivals to the Island and the flight numbers had 4 numbers BA only have three. I was under the impression that American airlines could not carry out domestic flights in the UK and it was the same for BA in the USA under the code share agreement

Like the man says.......

Wrong, it's called code sharing, Airlines do it all the time, you will be ticketed by AA for instance and it will show an AA flight number but it will be a BA flight with a BA flight number also.

Theres nothing more to it.

Archived