Tower Of Refuge

manxchatterbox

As a symbol of a town and a landmark building with important historic associations dating from the early-mid nineteenth century, I'd compare the Tower of Refuge in Douglas to the Albert Tower in Ramsey, not the Queen's Pier.

Therefore can we have the Albert Tower done up too? And if not, I'll put in my offer...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word was that Willie Hilary was a bit of a scamp with the public subscriptions, some thought they were a fiddle with not all monies passing down the line, but i still had doubts, Then i saw a subscription list for the tower and one of the first to subscribe was a relative of mine who was bent as a lhergy, that confirmed it--fiddle city!.

no question, it wants fixing up, and fixing up now.

However, it might be just me, but I think those lights on it are awful, when they said they were lighting it up, I thought they meant some floods/spots to illuminate the building, not making it look like a cheap watery santa's grotto, and I actually like all those bad taste tacky houses with the blowup santas, but the Tower of Refuge is an architectural landmark, and it deserves better.

yep your absolutely right...its in the Douglas Corpration Public Works Committee Minutes of 16 November.

Present at that meeting were Councillors IA Faragher, the Mayor Mr Councillor R H McNicoll, Councillor Mrs E H Callow and Mr Councillor T M Gelling

They passed a resolution: "That recommendation be made to the Policy and Resources Committee that the Corpration assume responsibility for the Tower of Refuge"

so now ...when the bills start to arrive....and the costs begin to mount...and rate bills go up....again... at least Douglas Ratepayers know whose responsible....

so if you are a Douglas Ratepayer and think the ToR restoration costs should be bourne by Government then you should also phone up your local councillor...do it straight away...to object to any assumption of responsibility and the incurring of any costs by the Corporation..

Councillors contact details are at:http://www.douglas.org.im/councillors.asp?action=byname

Its just unbelievable (well no its not really) that there is a move to assume responsibility without knowing what the implication and costs will be...£250,000 or more....more trough feeding at the expense of the ratepayers....

If the ToR is so so important to the IOM heritage or whatever then some other body than than Douglas Corp will step in to save it....

Whatever - Douglas Ratepayers shouldn't have to foot the bill.

B)

I would say that all the island's tax payers should foot the bill as it's a symbol of the island far more than any other man-made structures even Castle Rushen and the ruin in Peel. Everyone visits Douglas or works in Douglas - seriously does anyone on this forum not work in Douglas?

It's got to be saved - don't sell it to Jeremy Clarkson!

Whatever - Douglas Ratepayers shouldn't have to foot the bill.

B)

I would say that all the island's tax payers should foot the bill as it's a symbol of the island far more than any other man-made structures even Castle Rushen and the ruin in Peel. Everyone visits Douglas or works in Douglas - seriously does anyone on this forum not work in Douglas?

It's got to be saved - don't sell it to Jeremy Clarkson!

why the hell should the rest of us pay for something like that when you won't find others digging into their pockets for restoration elsewhere

I don't work in Douglas...

Wow. I've rarely met anyone who doesn't work in either Douglas, Onchan or at the airport.

Everyone uses Douglas' services so everyone should foot the bill. Equally landmarks for other towns like that pier thing up north should be funded by the tax-payer - let's spend the money before the MHKs send it into a blackhole. That said though do many Douglas residents ever venture outside of the city - I know many who definately don't visit other towns although they may visit the countryside...

Don't worry, I think it's a brilliant ploy by the corpy, whoever thought that up is a genius !

If the corpy have it then government will want to take it off them and then they'll get the consultants and repairs done on it, even if it goes over budget they'll just 'find' the money to finish it !.

Really though, to prevent any further damage a few bags of quick setting cement wouldn't go amiss in blocking the worst of the holes to stop the winter gales getting further into it, (remember the dutchman and his finger in the dam ?)

As has already been mentioned, did the corpy ask permission from the 'owners' to plaster it with xmas decorations ?

There are three companies which come to mind using the name (or part) or image for their identity, maybe a little contribution from them would be forthcoming ?.

Archived