Tower Of Refuge

manxchatterbox

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it is a bit spiteful to expect the Tower of Refuge to crumble into the sea to maintain a parochial sense of fair play. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I don't recall saying anything like that Declan.

Not a problem Declan.

I don't like to see anything like the Tower of refuge and Iron pier left to rot or not looked after.

If only our Government realised how hard they were to build at the time and the amount of hard work that went into them, but they don't.

As we both know, the people that built them didn't have the mod cons we have nowadays in construction and building in the sea is a lot harder than building any structure on land.

Concrete has a most excellent idea - why not indeed put the ToR up for sale on e-bay.......target some rich American who can afford to dismantle it.. ship it... and re-build it in Arizona or somewhere on a man-made island in the middle of a lake on a golf course....donate the proceeds to a Save Ramsey Pier Fund...who is going to stand in the way...Govt won't 'cos it says its not their responsibility....

ah but does Douglas Corpy actually own the ToR? do they have the title Deeds? I suspect not..and so I'm just thinking I might myself put it on e-bay with the usual disclaimers and see what happens...what's the downside?

The listing fee, the selling fee (assuming it goes!) and the fact that you hve to send it over on Steam Racket to Haaeeeeeeyyyyyyssssheeeiiimmm.

Best to put buyer collects/dismantles .. or the fact it can collected from Douglas beach in the Spring, after the Winter high tides. A low reserve should get the bidding going, lets say £35 Billion, with a donation going to the 'keep the MEA going fund' ... split the rest between everyone living on the Island (if its a Holiday home it dont count JC!) so we can all have a good knees up in the New Year.

If they DO own it ...... they may have just beaten you to the listing

pic.bmp

it should be saved of course! is it really an possible option to let it fall into the sea? the whole island should pay,it offers no advantage to douglas ratepayers so i see why the corpy doesnt want to pay,maybe set up a donation fund or apply for lottery grant

In my attempt to appear quick witted and humourous, I edited all the details that linked the page to a genuine auction and real persons with the exeption of the "place bid" link, which did indeed lead to the original item.

Due to time constraints it was quicker to delete the link and spoof page than to edit the page.

Archived