Tower Of Refuge

manxchatterbox

In my attempt to appear quick witted and humourous, I edited all the details that linked the page to a genuine auction and real persons with the exeption of the "place bid" link, which did indeed lead to the original item.

Due to time constraints it was quicker to delete the link and spoof page than to edit the page.

Sounds like a nomination for 'best balls up post' :D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my attempt to appear quick witted and humourous, I edited all the details that linked the page to a genuine auction and real persons with the exeption of the "place bid" link, which did indeed lead to the original item.

Due to time constraints it was quicker to delete the link and spoof page than to edit the page.

As I didn't see the original link before it had been edited I didn't know it was an auction for something else....

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

so DOT says it belongs to them not the Corpy - that some remedial work is necessary - and that Douglas Corpy have to take off the new lighting they put up earlier in the year

now a Douglas Councillor is suggesting the Corpy gets compensation....

IMO the Councillors who authorised the expenditure of ratepayers money in the first place should cough up and pay a fine in addition 'cos they had the work done on something that didn't belong to them and without authority from the owner....teach them a lesson on controlling budgets and other peoples money instead of the flagrant way they lavish it around...

so DOT says it belongs to them not the Corpy - that some remedial work is necessary - and that Douglas Corpy have to take off the new lighting they put up earlier in the year

now a Douglas Councillor is suggesting the Corpy gets compensation....

IMO the Councillors who authorised the expenditure of ratepayers money in the first place should cough up and pay a fine in addition 'cos they had the work done on something that didn't belong to them and without authority from the owner....teach them a lesson on controlling budgets and other peoples money instead of the flagrant way they lavish it around...

Very interesting mcb.

I must admit I always thought Douglas Cororation owned or had access rights to the Tower of refuge.

The decorative lighting has been a worthwhile attraction for many years and IMHO well worth the money in terms of the enhanced value it gives to ratepayers operating seaside hotels.

Regarding compensation It might be a better idea if Douglas Town Council and Central Government started talking to each other on the basis that they dont have to be deadly enemies.

Well said Lonan3.

How long ago is it since the tower was lit up each summer like it was many years ago? The lights then were part of the Corpy illuminations.

I know this post is from long ago but when were they part of the Corpy illuminations? Not disputing they were I just can't remember-type-thing. I ask because when I was an apprentice spark at the Harbour Board(now DoT) I remember going out there working a few times but I cannot remember just what we did :D (gimme a break it was a loooong time ago!)

I know this post is from long ago but when were they part of the Corpy illuminations? Not disputing they were I just can't remember-type-thing. I ask because when I was an apprentice spark at the Harbour Board(now DoT) I remember going out there working a few times but I cannot remember just what we did :D (gimme a break it was a loooong time ago!)

I used to have a pint with a corporation electrician who used to maintain lights at the tower and on the promenade fountain.

Well, the Tower lights are always on at the same time as the prom lights (Christmas being the most remarkable given the weather). We watched some brave souls repairing the Tower of Refuge to take the lights this last Xmas, and long may it continue.

No better sight than a still evening at any time of year, with the lights from the prom twinkling on the sea from all the hustle and bustle behind you, to look over to the Tower with its lights reflected back and the gentle lap of the sea. Pure magic!

I used to have a pint with a corporation electrician who used to maintain lights at the tower and on the promenade fountain.

Care to give me some initials? (as I've worked with them too over the years) No worries if you don't though. :)

Again not doubting,just curious.

the question is:- if Douglas residents were to complete a questionnaire on what services they are happy to pay for and what they dont want to have to pay for and if that meant Douglas Corpn said some services and amenities were to be cut would Govt let those services fail, i.e if ratepayers said no to subsidising the loss on the horse trams and no to paying for the decorative lights on the ToR and no to maintaining the sunken gardens - would Govt step in and meet the costs or not???

Let's take it a stage further then MCB. If the Corpy were to take that line of approach why stop there.

Why not have the rates paid directly to central government, abolish the corpy and any other remnants of local govt and have all of the responsibilities passed to central govt.

Think of all of the expenses that would save. No councillors / mayor etc. No town hall, no corpy dog shit collector for you to bitch about.

I think you might be on to something.

So, I think that the honourable councillors of Douglas would need to think long and hard before stripping itself of too many responsibilities.

the question is:- if Douglas residents were to complete a questionnaire on what services they are happy to pay for and what they dont want to have to pay for and if that meant Douglas Corpn said some services and amenities were to be cut would Govt let those services fail, i.e if ratepayers said no to subsidising the loss on the horse trams and no to paying for the decorative lights on the ToR and no to maintaining the sunken gardens - would Govt step in and meet the costs or not???

I'd vote for for the Corpy not to spend my money on stupid questionaires.

Care to give me some initials? (as I've worked with them too over the years) No worries if you don't though. :)

Again not doubting,just curious.

No problem ..an older guy with the initials JC ..used to be a regular in the Bowling Green Hotel.

I believe he left the Corporation and went to work for MEA before his retirement.

Archived