Douglas Properties - Change Of Use

manxchatterbox

Ah, good point. I'd like to see some kind of restrictions against private dentists - it's state dentists that are needed.

Why? If a dentist chooses to earn his living from private practice, that should be his decision. We dont live in a communist state.

Even more basic than that: if there is under supply of dentists having some private dentists set up shop will relieve the pressure on the NHS ones. This will lower NHS waiting lists and allowing people who are using the NHS service to get treated more quickly.

The state is failing to provide sufficient dental care and your solution is to restrict the private sector ... oh yes a very very clever way to improve a service.

Even more basic than that: if there is under supply of dentists having some private dentists set up shop will relieve the pressure on the NHS ones. This will lower NHS waiting lists and allowing people who are using the NHS service to get treated more quickly.

The state is failing to provide sufficient dental care and your solution is to restrict the private sector ... oh yes a very very clever way to improve a service.

More private dentists will encourage more state dentists to convert which is not a beneficial situation. It's time the Govt took the lead and provided more incentives for dentists to remain state funded.

Lots of people believe it or not cannot afford private dental care. Health is being determined by economic factors ignoring the social problems it creates for the vulnerable.

More private dentists will encourage more state dentists to convert which is not a beneficial situation. It's time the Govt took the lead and provided more incentives for dentists to remain state funded.

No; they will provide more competition: increased supply lowers prices making it HARDER for private dentists to compete and decreasing the incentive to leave an NHS practice. At the moment due to the lack of the government action we are out of equilibrium; it therefore is economically worthwhile for private dentists to set up. If too many dentists arrive setting up private practices the price will drop to a level where it is no longer worthwhile and some will leave. The government recruiting more NHS dentists will have the same effect.

Lots of people believe it or not cannot afford private dental care. Health is being determined by economic factors ignoring the social problems it creates for the vulnerable.

I am unclear of the relevance of your post. Off course lots of people cannot afford private care, but if people are willing to pay the prices offered by private dentists there will therefore be less demand on NHS services allowing those who can't afford them to be treated more quickly.

The number of dentists is finite in the short term. More private ones, less available for NHS and vice versa. There does not seem to be an over supply of dentists presently so pricesremain high. If we attract private dentists they may be coming from somewhere else which is detrimental to the service there.

I am not arguing with your equilibrium points but there is a real problem presently throughout Britain whichn seems to be insoluble in the short term. My wish is that the Government would agree a deal with the dentists to make it worthwhile for them to accept NHS patients without dentists having to go into private practice competing with each other and possibly destabilising the service.

I fully accept there are different ways of looking at this matter but this is my view even though I accept others have a different approach to the problem. There are no easy solutions.

I would not want to intervere with those who wish to pay privately but I do not accept it is necessarily beneficial to the overrall dental healthcare of the nation.

No; they will provide more competition: increased supply lowers prices making it HARDER for private dentists to compete and decreasing the incentive to leave an NHS practice. At the moment due to the lack of the government action we are out of equilibrium; it therefore is economically worthwhile for private dentists to set up. If too many dentists arrive setting up private practices the price will drop to a level where it is no longer worthwhile and some will leave. The government recruiting more NHS dentists will have the same effect.

Whilst this may be true with most of the service industry I don't think it applies to essentials like dentists. They will continue to charge as much as they can and maybe even more if there are fewer and fewer state dentists. A lot of dental operations are urgent and those requiring them often don't have the time to 'shop around' for the best price.

Archived