Nicknames For Landmark Buildings

Snaipyr

I've just been watching a programme about Dublin and love the nicknames they give to some of their buildings and statues.

We had 'The Lemon Squeezer' for the Sea Terminal', but can't think of any more.

Also, any ideas for a good nickname for the incinerator?

Wedding cake = big waste of money.

They could have sold the site and built something better for much less than it is costing to renovate. Even when it was built it was naff retro.

Should have let Dandara do them something functional on one of the industrial estates.

Also, any ideas for a good nickname for the incinerator?

No good nicknames - but I was very unhappy when a fire broke out there ... I wanted to see the headline in the locals ......'Fire at Incinerator' .....but it never came. (Says it all really)

Wait a Mo!... I think it was once called a quadriplegic .... so how about 'Davros'?

It looks like a swan to me

Are you on drugs?

LOL :lol: - I knew I should have kept quiet.

I'll take a picture and post it on, you have to view it from a far, but it does look like a swan ( honest :huh: ).

If you look at it coming down from the round about ( where you can go to B&Q ) and head past the Post-A-Rose place, it looks like a Swan from there - or maybe its me and the fact I'm hallucinating at 6:45pm :lol:

One that irritates me, and seems to be pushed by Manx Radio only, is "Road Island Roundabout" (geddit!)

This is the roundabout on the turnoff to B & Q or Spring Valley Industrial Estate, which before the road was put right, was often referred to as Fort North (after the DoT Transport Minister at the time, David (I love roundabouts) North.

The thing is, why on earth call a piece of land Road Island in the first place. Well apparently because it is surrounded by roads.

But it isn't really surrounded by roads. Not since the road to the incinerator from the bottom of Richmond Hill was closed off.

Ah well, Manx Radio (Stu and Alex) love the name. :)

On another point regarding, the Tower of Refuge, the Irish folk I knew always called it The Shithouse :unsure: because in the days before IRIS it looked like all the Island's effluent emerged from it :)

Archived