Old Grumbles Almanac

Grumble

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last Ten

I'll decide in the New Year.

Let's hope it will be one which all of us will become at peace with each other.

Anyone who does stand has my best wishes.

Maybe the Mods will consider starting a new section titled 'Electioneering'.

I have no problem with anyone using the internets to put their policies across, but I sincerely hope we don't have wannabe MHK's kissing ass in every thread for the next 11 months.

Thanks for your blessing on free speech.

I accept a separate thread might be useful for those who wish to canvas but there cannot be a prohibition on using other threads for legitimate comment.

Perhaps those who wish to berate others might like to use their real names so we can assess their motives.

Not berating you at all Charles, and my only motive is not wanting threads fogged by thinly-disguised electioneering.

Which most of your posts so far seem to have been.

That's why I think all prospective MHK's should be invited directly by MF to sign up and add comments.

Were I planning to stand I'd post under my own name and add a signature about being 'prospective candidate for Werst Douglas' or wherever.

Since I'm not, and don't want to answer sticky questions about where the pension fund went, or whose body was actually fished out of the sea, I'll maintain this deep cover for now.

Not berating you at all Charles, and my only motive is not wanting threads fogged by thinly-disguised electioneering.

Which most of your posts so far seem to have been.

That's why I think all prospective MHK's should be invited directly by MF to sign up and add comments.

Were I planning to stand I'd post under my own name and add a signature about being 'prospective candidate for Werst Douglas' or wherever.

Since I'm not, and don't want to answer sticky questions about where the pension fund went, or whose body was actually fished out of the sea, I'll maintain this deep cover for now.

Grumble,

Thank you for your reply which I agree with. I am afraid I can't answer most questions about bodies but I shall like you probably ask a few.

Certainly, some of my comments are to do with politics, but that's life isn't it. However, I am quite happy to talk on a whole range of experiences and do - politics just happens to be one of them.

When I have made my decision about the 'Keys' I shall let everyone in Douglas/Onchan know but I believe Christmas is not the time to do so.

I wish you and yours a joyous Christmas.

This reminds me of the tagline from an advert on the television...

If you don't do politics, what do you do?

We all, in our small way do politics, the difference with Charles is that many know who he is and what he could potentially become so how about you give the guy a break eh and not try to read too much into what he posts on the forum?

This reminds me of the tagline from an advert on the television...

If you don't do politics, what do you do?

We all, in our small way do politics, the difference with Charles is that many know who he is and what he could potentially become so how about you give the guy a break eh and not try to read too much into what he posts on the forum?

I think that the problem a number of us have with Charles, is that he was saying all these, superficially good, things several years ago, (not on MF, obviously). But he created a very high political profile, and even started his own airline to take on the "monopoly" that Manx Airlines had ----- and then he, and his airline, disappeared.

Once bitten!

Didn't disappear.

Airline couldn't get going on island due to the stranglehold some had on island's airline business so sold it on and did something more useful as far as I was concerned outside politics.

I'm certainly not having a go at Charles, or anyone else who decides to stand for Keys...and I apologise unreservedly if it appears that I'm having a cheap pop. I am concerned though that with the growth of the internets, canny candidates could clog up threads agreeing with all and sundry in an attempt to woo the younger voter.

That's fine, and shows which of them are switched on to modern technology and what people are concerned enough to post about at least, but I think it needs some form of moderation.

Goodwill to all men though - Merry Christmas everybody.

Sadly, I think it will take more than MF (or any other techno wizardy) to get a good turnout at the ballot boxes. Complacency is a very difficult obstacle to overcome.

What we need is just one or two candidates who will charge people up to wanting to vote and to look critically at who they want to run the island. Perhaps an all-island vote?

Archived