Old Grumbles Almanac

Grumble

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so how about you give the guy a break eh and not try to read too much into what he posts on teh forum?

Ahh, Glumble

You have spoken velly rell

But you have incurred the wlath of a moderlator (again)

For this you must go down to Douglas Beach and stand on wron of the posts of the gloynes with wron leg only and with arms out like the seagull.

Then tomollow you will be wriser.

Charles Flynn . . . . . . . you have shown humility and been humble to glumble. You may go down to the beach and throw wotten seaweed at Glumble. That rill learn him.

I am concerned though that with the growth of the internets, canny candidates could clog up threads agreeing with all and sundry in an attempt to woo the younger voter.

That's fine, and shows which of them are switched on to modern technology and what people are concerned enough to post about at least, but I think it needs some form of moderation.

I sympathise with your viewpoint, certainly the arrival of political and media types in the last few years has made for a less vibrant forum.

However, you need to remember that many "ordinary" posters have their own agendas. It is hard, for example, to imagine the forums now without FCMR or Crumlin, but you can't deny they are perusing a political campagain (of sorts). Intelligent users keep this in mind when reading the forums.

I don't think this should be a question for the moderators. It is not their role to dictate the course of threads (provided people stay within the T&C's). By all means if we are inundated by a flood of candidates an Electioneering section could be started, but candidates will be legitimate members in their own right and should be allowed to contribute as they see fit to other threads. It is up to the members to highlight any electioneering flim-flam or hokum they might come up with. In my experience they generally will.

The forum is what the forum is. If everyone wants to talk about Telly or the Manx Language or buses or something, then that is the way of the forum. And if the forum is beseiged by a hoard or gaggle or whatever the collective noun is for political candidates, then that's life, sort of thing.

As far as I am concerned the more people electioneering on the forum the better. It will be fun and interesting for all. Previous attempts have shown the forum to be a double edged sword but generally they seem to die by the sword. It won't take long for a seemingly well meaning person to be seen for what they are. Broken forever by the intelligent questioning of steven or to be put straight on a matter by Old George Words or berated by thehater (RIP?) etc.

But worse, far worse of all, to be simply ignored.

Seriously though, maybe the mods/admin at their next pow-pow, could discuss inviting each and every candidate onto the forum :)

And if the forum is beseiged by a hoard or gaggle or whatever the collective noun is for political candidates, then that's life, sort of thing.

I think the collective is a corruption.

PS. Did you know there is a collective noun for hermits (an observance)? Seems a contradiction in terms to me!

By the way I am not a candidate...at least yet.

But I think I can savely say in the past I have put my money where my mouth is and also there is a life - a very good life - outside politics. No government grants for me but no one can continue to do this. We do need some support from the people for enterprise. 20 years ago I didn't get it but I hope times have changed. In 1986 I warned about corruption .. and I am sorry I was right.

The electorate needs to be bold at times and adopt a positive attitude.

Sometimes they should take risks or we end up with politicians who would love to be civil servants. - a very worthy profession but not necessarily the right people to lead a nation.

I am not afraid to talk to people this time through a Forum. Some of you will have fun because of this but I have no problem with this. But please don't reject everyone who comes forward otherwise you will be left with only those people who are in politics just for their own ends.

Some give, others take all the time.

so how about you give the guy a break eh and not try to read too much into what he posts on teh forum?

Ahh, Glumble

For this you must go down to Douglas Beach and stand on wron of the posts of the gloynes with wron leg only and with arms out like the seagull.

Charles Flynn . . . . . . . you have shown humility and been humble to glumble. You may go down to the beach and throw wotten seaweed at Glumble. That rill learn him.

You ARE the Master. I am contrite. But these are tears of happiness and mirth. Still chuckling...

Ahh, Glumble

Would love to but Glumble is in deep cover - but one day ....

You ARE the Master. I am contrite. But these are tears of happiness and mirth. Still chuckling...

I thought the Doctor had killed off the Master.....

Like the way CF has used the forum to raise his profile and as a means of testing the water ahead of declaring as candidate or not for next November..his has been pretty much a low profile in recent years and so much so had forgotten about his airline...guess he must have been doing some other sort of industry out in the sticks somewhere...

Have been thinking of standing for Douglas Corpn..Hills Ward...as the current "peoples representatives" all live within a few doors of each other in Springfield Road Pulrose..so find it hard to believe they are fully committed to representing the views and aspirations of the people who live in Farmhill and Saddlestone...but then I can see that with Adrian Duggan not standing as MHK fo0r South Douglas one of the current Corpy Councillors might think they are in with a chance 'cos who else can represent the low income members of society who live in Pulrose and Anagh Coar and who can't afford to buy or be responsible for their own property...

Archived