Government Pr

partypolitics

Yes, we are now actually trying to promote ourselves! :D

Why do we use an American firm, based in Raleigh, NC??? <_<

"The government of the Isle of Man today announced that they will be instituting a zero rate corporate tax for trading companies effective April 2005. The small island nation,

I just think it's great that the island is referred to as an 'island nation' rather than part of the UK or a crown dependency. Now that the island sorts out much of its own foreign affairs we're finally getting proper recognition. One step away from full soveriegnty.

I guess we use an American firm because they have a history of good PR and we need only the best for this island which is one of the best nations!

Surely if we used a massive one, say one which is used by a global giant, wouldnt that be better?

More expensive.

I think you need to get some perspective. The Island is smaller than some American suburbs.

Maybe - just maybe - the DTI people who recruited ClearImage did so having considered the options and resources available, and on the basis that they were getting best 'bang per buck'.

We don't have the kind of budgets available that would interest the Saatchis or Ogilvies, and I'd rather our money was spent on a small and hungry team who give a damn about doing good work for us, because we're an important client, rather than be passed from one expensive teaboy to another on Madison Avenue.

I'd rather our money was spent on a small and hungry team who give a damn about doing good work for us because we're an important client

Well said Mr Grumble. I'm a great believer in "Lean, Mean and Hungry" and let's face it, they sure are coming from a long way back. But North Carolina? How on earth did they come down on this outfit? That's not to say they won't really give it a shot but the location is unusual.

Fine place - I had a couple of holidays there this year staying with my friend Sheila in Wake Forest. Ray Price Harley in Raleigh hires spiffy new bikes out for around £50 a day (I rented a Heritage Softail, but they have lots of others).

Only problem I found was the immigration - 8ish hours in a cheap Boeing seat, then made to queue for an hour (standing/shuffling) to have your picture and prints taken and confirm you're not Osama, then queue again for baggage reclaim, then US Customs...really takes the edge off 'having a nice day'.

Only problem I found was the immigration - 8ish hours in a cheap Boeing seat, then made to queue for an hour (standing/shuffling) to have your picture and prints taken and confirm you're not Osama, then queue again for baggage reclaim, then US Customs...really takes the edge off 'having a nice day'.

Couldn't agree with you more on this one. It's particularly unusual to reclaim your luggage and then have to surrender it again for more checking. Talk about OTT.

I had occasion to need a machine part recently.

The agent in the UK wanted £498 + Vat and delivery for the same part which was priced at $115 from the American manfacturer and supplier so I phoned the factory in Boston direct.

Firstly they didn't have a clue where the IOM was then once I explained where we are, they then told me I would have to use their UK agent. I asked why? As we are not part of the UK why can't I but from any Country I like, including the USA. They replied as for as they are concerned the IOM is part of the UK, period and will not sell you the part direct as it would undermine their agent.

I then asked if I was in the USA could I buy it at the factory outside Boston? They said yes as this would not undermine their agent in the UK. So whilst I'm getting a long weekend in Boston and the part for a similar price I'd have to pay the robbing swine in the UK maybe the MHK's who had the freebee to Washington the other month should have concentrated on explaining where we actually are and that we are not part off the UK. Then maybe Companies who use USA made machinery might not have to be ripped off by having to buy from the UK agents.

But then it seems that it's only the Finance Companies who are getting the backing from the DTI and not the Manfacturing ones. The might be why Ronaldsway closed and Strix have moved soethnigs, who knows.

cheesemonster2005

What on earth makes you say the Island sorts out its own foreign affairs?

In recent months the island has reached agreement with the Netherland and Dubai among other states on matters from tax to business. Whilst many foreign affairs are still handled by the UK, we seem to be fending for ourselves on matters which directly concern us. We also aren't afraid to send delegates to the USA (to mention a recent example) - this would be something which we'd have expected the UK to sort out in the past.

Archived