Biggest News Story Of 2005

cheesemonster2005

The year is almost up. We've spent most of our money on presents and alcohol. We're waiting to start the same old routine again thru 2006. But what's been the biggest news event of 2005? Which event has changed the nation, UK, British Isles or the world the most?

[*]I would say the 7/7 bombings in London. The attacks, although not on the scale of 9/11, made UK citizens aware that they were targets to. The attacks demonstrated the UK emergency service's excellent training and courage. The attacks showed the UK that the Iraq War does have consequences - that last part is maybe controversial but I make no apologies.

What news event has affected us the most in 2005?

London bombs, New Orleans, earthquake in Pakistan and the tsunami. OK, it was in 2004, but the scale of it wasn't known for a few days so it didn't really make it into the 'review of the year' type programs last year.

The first few posts on this thread are interesting because the amount of dead was way higher than the figures people were amazed at.

London bombs, New Orleans, earthquake in Pakistan and the tsunami. OK, it was in 2004, but the scale of it wasn't known for a few days so it didn't really make it into the 'review of the year' type programs last year.

The first few posts on this thread are interesting because the amount of dead was way higher than the figures people were amazed at.

Too true. I had thought of the Asian tsunami but thought it belonged to last year. The final death toll was in excess of 250,000 is that right? I donated around 2 weeks of my wages out here - not a lot by UK standards but felt significant all the same.

The top scientific story of 2005 will probably be the recognition that global warming threatens the future of the planet and the inability of the nations to take concerted action.

This last year was full of tragedies due to natural actions outside our control but global warming which may have caused some of the hurricanes can be reduced by a reduction in carbon emmissions.

So the big question for the future is "Will we agree to act before it is too late? "

Archived