Smoker Smoked By Firm

slinkydevil

This girl was refused a contract at Dataflow Communications Limited because she is a smoker. She didn't smoke at work. But because of a private lifestyle choice she was refused work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/4553766.stm

"If the NHS took a similar view, 15% of doctors and 17% of nurses would be refused employment."

Right or Wrong for companies to make decisions like this?

I could accept the reasoning if, for example, the company was supplying private health as part of the package offered to it's employees. However, as this is unlikely to be the case with a 'temp' I find it impossible to understand their reasoning and, since the lady in question did not smoke at work, it suggests that she was an 'occasional' or 'social' smoker whose health status would not normally be called into question.

Their statement that "We don't want people coming into work smelling of smoke," is a nonsense. There are far more offensive smells - including cheap perfumes and after-shaves - to be found in most work places.

I heard an employment lawyer on the radio about this earlier. He said that unless it's a legal discrimination issue - race, gender etc, in your first year of employment your employer can get rid just because they don't like your shoes, or you have a stupid haircut, or whatever reason they like.

Should it be a year? Is six months better?

Archived