London 2012

Amadeus

'Voting error' gave London Games

BBC News

A senior Olympic figure has told the BBC that London only won the 2012 Olympics because of a misplaced vote. Alex Gilady claims the mistake happened when a vote was cast for Paris instead of the intended recipient, Madrid.

Had the vote gone to Madrid, claims Gilady, they would have finished level with Paris on 32 votes apiece in the penultimate round, behind London. Gilady suggests Madrid would have won a head-to-head vote with Paris and gone on to beat London in the final round........

....."Let's say what we think now happened, that one member made a mistake and voted for Paris rather than Madrid.

"If he had voted for Madrid it would be 32-32. We would have to have had a vote-off.

"In the vote-off all the votes supporting London would go to Madrid, because the fear was that Paris had a big chance to win.

"Madrid would then have won against Paris.

"Coming to the final against London, all the votes from Paris would have gone to support Madrid.

"Madrid would have won.

There you have it: London didn't really win - they only got it because some old fella on the committee got confused with the buttons :)

Off Topic - but when are you sorting out the complimentary tickets to the World Cup for us Amadeus? Surely you have contacts! ;)

I wish I could... Getting tickets is a complete lottery (literally..), and it seems FIFA is more concerned about making money out of it than anything else - You can't even sell on their rubbish without getting sued:

FIFA threatens legal action over World Cup rubbish sale

Back on thread, (and I already have me coat), but my heart fell when I heard London had won the Olympics. All it means to me is 7 years of Olympic fever instead of just the few weeks every four years (in itself almost intolerable).

The Olympics has been shown as an opportunity for some pretty corrupt shenanigens in any case, so a simple mistake is neither here nor there.

Archived