His Excellency Alex Downie

Topaz

The following is from an Arabic/ Dubai newspaper called the Khaleeji Times....and refers to the visit by Manx delegates to Dubai recently. In particular the address given to the Dubai Chamber of Commerce. :blink:

DCCI receives a trade delegation from the Isle of Man

His Excellency Obeid Humaid Al Tayer, Chairman of the Dubai Chamber of Commerce & Industry (DCCI), yesterday received a trade delegation from the Isle of Man headed by His Excellency Alex Downie, Minister of Trade and Industry, and more than 30 businessmen and economy experts.

Mr. Alex Downie, Minister of Trade and Industry in the Isle of Man, highlighted the importance of his visit to the DCCI stressing the need to enhance the trade relations between the government of their island with Dubai and its related business community, in addition to finding new opportunities of investments in both countries.

He spoke about the Isle of Man which is located on 572 square kilometers of land overlooking the Ireland Sea in the heart of the British islands, inhabited by about 76,000 people. The island enjoys nice weather and an attractive natural geographic location giving the island a luxurious life style and political and economic stability.

"The island enjoys an open economy and a place which hosts many different nationalities. The island has an active Muslim community and a mosque. There is a clear resemblance between the Isle of Man and Dubai in many terms, mainly the low taxes, with a maximum personal rate of income tax of 10 to 18%," said Mr. Downie.

He hailed the history of the Arab economy and trade when ships and dhows were sailing to the coasts of Africa. He also highlighted the strategic location of the UAE, Dubai in particular, and its vital significance in the world trade.

He appreciated the contributions of His Highness Sheikh Maktoom bin Rashid Al Maktoom, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Dubai, and Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoom, Dubai Crown Prince and UAE Defence Minister, in the field of horse racings which take place in the Isle of Man.

"Large international companies have set up branches in the Isle of Man due to its strong infrastructure and its developing economy. We have recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Government of Dubai to enhance the economic and trade relations between both sides," he added.

The members of the Isle of Man's delegation highlighted the low cost of living in the Isle of Man, comparing to the British capital and other cities such as Manchester, which helps in setting up businesses.

Mr. Downie also underlined the facilities which his government offers to the marine shipping lines which register its tankers and vessels, thanks to the Isle of Man's laws that ensure protection to companies, businessmen and investors.

. The island enjoys nice weather and an attractive natural geographic location giving the island a luxurious life style and political and economic stability :lol:

The members of the Isle of Man's delegation highlighted the low cost of living in the Isle of Man, comparing to the British capital and other cities such as Manchester, which helps in setting up businesses. :lol:

Now this is what you call Pure Bull Sh*t

.... a trade delegation from the Isle of Man headed by His Excellency Alex Downie, Minister of Trade and Industry, and more than 30 businessmen and economy experts.

I really would like to know who they all were.

Representing me.

And you.

.... a trade delegation from the Isle of Man headed by His Excellency Alex Downie, Minister of Trade and Industry, and more than 30 businessmen and economy experts.

I really would like to know who they all were.

Representing me.

And you.

Most weren't representing you. I think there were 4 people from government (including Downie) - the rest were private sector people who paid their own passage

Most weren't representing you. I think there were 4 people from government (including Downie) - the rest were private sector people who paid their own passage

They went as a group. From the Isle of Man. With Government officials.

They were representing the Isle of Man all right.

That's me and you too, Tugger, whether we like it or not.

There is this bit also...but this was printed before the event . I just didn't find them in the right order.

Isle of Man seeks to develop closer e-business with Dubai

BY A STAFF REPORTER

26 November 2005

DUBAI — A government delegation from Isle of Man being headed by Alexander Downie MLC, Minister for Trade and Industry who will be representing Prime Minister, Donald Gelling will visit Dubai in last week of this month.

In addition to the minister the delegation will also include top bankers, Managing Directors & CEO of more than 5 banks in addition to top government officials. "We are pleased to say that the minister and top delegates will take part in a two day Forum being organised by the Khaleej Times International Forum, which will kick off at the Khaleej Times Building on 28 November 2005" said Javed Malik, Consultant & Moderator of Khaleej Times International Forum.

The Isle of Man is located at the heart of the British Isles, and has its own independently elected parliament and prime minister while The Queen remains the Head of State, like in the case of Canada, or Australia. Apart from foreign affairs and defence for which the Island pays a contribution to the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man makes all its own laws and levies all its own taxes with total independence.

The Isle of Man recently concluded a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Dubai Financial Services Authority (DFSA), the effect of which is that categories of regulated financial institutions in Dubai will be able to help recover to the Isle of Man in specific circumstances, without having to be licensed by the Isle of Man Financial Supervision Commission. Such an arrangement has been possible because both jurisdictions have similar high levels of regulation and supervision.

The Isle of Man is a jurisdiction of trust and probity with regulatory controls that are highly regarded internationally and has a prestigious AAA credit rating from both Standard & Poor's and Moody's credit rating agencies. The Island has been reviewed by the OECD, the IMF, FATF and the FSF and all have given the Island a clean bill of health in terms of its standards of regulation and supervision. The Island has no capital gains or inheritance taxes and personal tax rates, with the highest rate being only 18 per cent, are low. The Isle of Man has committed to reduce its rate of corporate tax to 0 per cent from April 2006 and is also considering introducing a personal tax liability cap from the same date.

The Island has benefited significantly from high levels of investment in its telecommunications infrastructure. Manx Telecom, a wholly owned subsidiary of O2 has invested some Dh 320 million over the last 5 years. The Isle of Man was only the second country in the world to role out a Third Generation "3G" telephone network; was the first in Europe to roll out "super fast" HSDPA 3G this year and was one of the first countries in Europe to roll out ADSL. The Island has two self healing SDH fibre cable rings, with one of the cables serving the island having a capacity of 1.2 tera bits which is capable of carrying 10 times the current North Atlantic internet traffic. All of the Islands digital exchanges have been ADSL enabled and there is 100 per cent broadband coverage.

The Island is seeing an increasing number of companies wishing to make use of the Island's telecommunications infrastructure and associated tax benefits, particularly those with a global market. The Isle of Man has been identified as an ideal load balancing server location, together with Dubai and Singapore, where such a configuration minimises the effects of latency.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/displayArticle...November563.xml

They went as a group. From the Isle of Man. With Government officials.

They were representing the Isle of Man all right.

That's me and you too, Tugger, whether we like it or not.

I still don't think that the private sector attendees were representing the island (or its residents) as a whole. the government bods certainly were though

DUBAI — A government delegation from Isle of Man being headed by Alexander Downie MLC, Minister for Trade and Industry who will be representing Prime Minister, Donald Gelling will visit Dubai in last week of this month.

In addition to the minister the delegation will also include top bankers, Managing Directors & CEO of more than 5 banks in addition to top government officials....

I don't want to fall into a quagmire of semantics, but these people were all representing the Isle of Man. Maybe nothing wrong with that, but there are a few sharks on the street of shame etc. that I would prefer did not pose in the International arena as representating the Isle of Man.

The Isle of Man is a jurisdiction of trust and probity with regulatory controls that are highly regarded internationally . . etc

How do you say "my arse" in Arabic.

Archived