Key Metres (electric)

Dontlookbehindyou

I've noticed a big saving in my electricity costs since I've moved home and now have a coin metre.

I've moved to a bigger place, higher ceilings, more rooms etc. Where as my last home was a one bedroomed flat with a key metre, I was using up to £20 per week where as now I am only using £5 to £6 per week.

When I went into the MEA they said all key metres are on a standard rate and there was no money owing that would of been taken off. They said that it just seemed like I was using more because of the standard charge which was around £12 that got taken off in one go. That doesn't explain £20 a week.

Seeing as only the MEA can alter the meter, if a landlord is changing it himself he's illegally tampering with a meter. Not sure how he'd get a cut from that either as the bills would still be paid in full to the MEA.

Unless he was being billed to himself and then just tacking on a surcharge and issuing his own bill to the tenant. He obviously wouldn't need to fix the meter then. Pretty dodgy practice, no idea whether it's illegal but it's definitely something that should be in the lease.

I'd go with untrue myself :)

Its to pay the Interest of their loan. Take from the poor, and leave the rich.

I do notice the amounts vary from place to place. I was told by someone that the landlord can put it up or down a rate.... for some overall benefit to him/her.... Probably untrue.

That may work with the old money in the slot meters, but unless, as above, the landlord bills on, I can't see it working with the key type meters we have now.

If your electricity meter is behind the landlord's he can legally re-sell electricity at a profit and set his own rates on the private meter (although there are restrictions in place to cap the rate he can charge). If that was the case previously then this could explain the difference.

I've noticed a big saving in my electricity costs since I've moved home and now have a coin metre.

I've moved to a bigger place, higher ceilings, more rooms etc. Where as my last home was a one bedroomed flat with a key metre, I was using up to £20 per week where as now I am only using £5 to £6 per week.

When I went into the MEA they said all key metres are on a standard rate and there was no money owing that would of been taken off. They said that it just seemed like I was using more because of the standard charge which was around £12 that got taken off in one go. That doesn't explain £20 a week.

I read somewhere that pay meters are more expensive. Anyone who has to pay-as-you-go for their electricity pays more than the rest of us (except me because my elecy is included in my rent :)).

It's a tax on poor people.

Archived