Galileo Satellite Launch

Amadeus

Was about time:

First Step Towards a European GPS Competitor

The European Galileo program, the Old World's answer to the US navigation system GPS, launched its first satellite on Wednesday. When completed in 2010, it will be even more accurate than GPS -- and won't be controlled by the military.

Europe took a major step forward on Wednesday towards its goal of creating a European answer to the American Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation system. At 11:19 local Kazakhstan time, test satellite "Giove A" was launched into clear skies on board a Soyuz rocket and into orbit. The satellite is the first piece of a €3.4 billion satellite navigation system that is set to be -- when completed in 2010 -- even more accurate than GPS and which will cover more of the Earth's surface.

The project will eventually include 30 satellites and will provide accuracy to within one meter -- an improvement over the US-military-controlled GPS system which has an error range of five meters. Under civilian control, Galileo hopes to provide navigation to emergency services, train networks and airports. The project's Web site -- perhaps in reference to US President George W. Bush's plans to allow GPS satellites to be temporarily disabled during national crises -- says the system will be operational at all times except in case of "the direst emergency."

"Galileo is made in Europe by Europeans," said European Space Agency spokesman Franco Bonacina. "If the Americans want to scramble GPS, they can do it whenever they want."

Sounds like good news - looking at all the different industries using GPS today (ships, planes, emergency services, etc..), the thought that Dubya could switch it off with the press of a button has always been a scary one IMO. Now there's a civilian counter-part, and the fact that it's from Europe is a bonus - one more thing to make America less important and influental...

Will be interesting to see how the different industries that currently use GPS will react and/or adapt to it..

Hmm, I think you're over-stating the reliance on gps. A fire engine doesn't require gps to visit your home. An aircraft doesn't rely soley on gps for navigation. It would be a huge inconvenience, but hardly catastrophic surely? I've no clue about military applications? I gather US military bombs use gps guidance I'm not sure if any European military uses it like this?

I recon Galileo is more about future use of gps rather than protection of existing use. It's got wider coverage, and more military benefits like anti-jamming tech.

It's a great thing to have though I agree, provided it's somehow compatable with existing gps. But gps recievers are now so cheap and mainstream, it's going to take some time to move civil users accross once the Galileo network is complete.

Hmm, I think you're over-stating the reliance on gps. A fire engine doesn't require gps to visit your home. An aircraft doesn't rely soley on gps for navigation. It would be a huge inconvenience, but hardly catastrophic surely? I've no clue about military applications? I gather US military bombs use gps guidance I'm not sure if any European military uses it like this?

I somehow tend to agree, but the way I understand it is, that the world is relying on GPS in many ways by now - I recall a story in the news recently, stating that most conventional lighthouses (including Chicken Rock, if I remember it right) have now been switched off, as ships have GPS navigation by now. If the yanks decide to switch it off (even if this is only temporarily), then I could well see some problems developing there.. And I'm quite sure that I saw emergency vehicles with GPS units fitted in the past - it allows them to respond quicker, especially in big cities, and can probably save lifes by doing so...

...gps recievers are now so cheap and mainstream, it's going to take some time to move civil users accross once the Galileo network is complete.

Totally agree - it will be a bit like it was when mobiles switched over from analog to digital - it takes time and volume (of sold units) to get people used to it and make the technology affordable - still a perfect opportunity to stick two fingers up to the all-knowing, want-to-be-world-dominating yanks, though...

It does, at first glance sound like good news... but....

How would you feel about this: The Government scraps road tax and removes the tax on petrol. Instead you will pay for the road you use by the mile?

The accuracy of the new system actually makes this a possibility.

It does, at first glance sound like good news... but....

How would you feel about this: The Government scraps road tax and removes the tax on petrol. Instead you will pay for the road you use by the mile?

The accuracy of the new system actually makes this a possibility.

That'd be a much better and fairer system. I agree with road tax but also think that those who only use their vehicle for emergencies shouldn't be paying as much.

Archived