The Manx Meat Monopoly

TheTool

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ohh and phil gawne knows the imports will come in because if they don't the isle of man will be fined or excluded from the EU

Fined ? We aren't a member of the EU and I have a stamp in my passport to prove it. Realistically - what the hell can they actually do ?

It won't be a level playing field as the manx farmers won't get anything from the EU in the way of subsidies. Unless we want to be a full member and then you'll be paying good tax money to the EU so they can give 90% of it to the french wine industry and french bridge creation scheme.

Lets wait on the harbour side for the first container to come in, jump the drivers and set the fucking stuff on fire !!!

Worked for the french..

And as far as imported chicken goes. We used to buy it and then we discovered that manx chicken isn't 'that' more expensive so now we get it from Chris Burns (or from Tracey to be precise)

We treated ourselves to a manx free range chicken before xmas. No more cheap crap I can tell you.

Well i would rather a pheasant than a chicken, try one someday they are loverly.

I want to see the cheap stuff because it means we can choose.

I personally prefer the manx meat because it aint full of crap and fed with allsorts.

This is going to be a tuff subject.

Manx meat is excellent! Far better than the tasteless chewy stuff in England. Every time we came over we would always make a point of buying a big rib of beef joint (at that time rib of beef in the UK had no bones because of BSE, but over here no probs) and smuggle it back to the UK. It wasn't as cheap as you could buy over there but, Jeez, it was tastier!

I have absolutely no problem with meat, or the prices, here. You can clearly see animals grazing in the fields (which you don't see across, oil seed rape is a far better earner) and, consequently, the meat is of a better quality. Very simple!

I often used to see one of the IOM fatstock lorries pass me by on the A217 by Sutton and always gave them a wave. But I did wonder where they were going!?

ans - keep reading............'Competition is to be welcomed and I have no problem with that but there is a line to be drawn between healthy competition and economic warfare'. There are no reports of EU farmers deliberately targetting the Manx meat industry; the arrival of Aer Arran was a deliberate assualt on existing Manx air operators.

My free-range Manx turkey was excellent, by the way. And if the Manx meatstock producers get their acts together, with Government assistance (not subsidy) in marketing etc, they should have no worries. :)

ans - keep reading............'Competition is to be welcomed and I have no problem with that but there is a line to be drawn between healthy competition and economic warfare'. There are no reports of EU farmers deliberately targetting the Manx meat industry; the arrival of Aer Arran was a deliberate assualt on existing Manx air operators.

8.7 for artistic merit and effort

0.4 for accuracy

Nice try.

I am not sure I have been able to follow all the points that have been made on this topic, but if competition from the UK and Europe is allowed to enter the Manx meat market, I would guess that the price of the foreign meats would be very cheap to start off with.

A lot of local shops i.e butchers would go out of business because they would find it difficult to compete with the supermarkets such as tesco's, who could offer the meat at even lower prices as a loss leader.

Once they have beaten the local competition and obtained the lions share of the market place, I would think that meat prices would rise and probably become more expensive than what they are now - simply becuase they would be able to get a way with it.

Although the meat might work out cheaper to buy wholesale - it does not mean that the supermarkets would pass on the benefits to the consumer, especially once they had control of the market place...

I don't think subsidies would be enough to protect the local produce.

I agree with Alex... imported meat veg and dairy is economics of the global mad-house...think of the environmental costs transporting stuff to processing plants, packaging and then storing and transporting... whereas local produce can't travel more than a handful of miles and provides an economic benefit to all areas of the economy..

It certainly helps the economy of the north of england, they get manx lamb at half the cost of the producer nation.

I pay for lamb throgh hill farm subsidy, building abbotoirs, building rendering plant, paying export subsidies and then manx lamb is extortionate in cost to me, I refuse to buy it.

Well i can get a whole lamb for £50 to £60, so its the shops that are making the money.

I refuse to buy meat from a supermarket we always use the butchers because you are surporting a local business and the meat is always great.

If you want quality use the butchers not the supermarket

Archived