My Question To Candidates In The Next Election.

Declan

It is a simple one-

"Who will you support for the post of Chief Minister?"

I'm sick of pouring through election literature which always seems to say the same thing - or at least pay lip service to the same issues - and trying to fit a rizla between between the candidates views. And I've had enough of reading the biographys of the candidates trying to work out who has the neccessary talent, integrity and experience for a role.

You see it makes little difference to how the Island is run - the people of Onchan and Ramsey will fuck it all up by voting for Corkill and Bell, and the way I see it the Island needs a change. Not particularly a change in policy but a change in how things are run.

When one group of people are in power for a long time complacency takes hold, as dog days of the Major administration and the current Labour government across show. On the Island this complacency seems to have manifested itself in a certain sloppiness in Government - the neccessary checks and balances seem to be missing and there is a lack of scrutiny of decisions made which impact on ordinary people.

So I want a shake up in the Government, and since the Government is chosen by the Chief Minister, the identity of the next Chief Minister becomes paramount. However, I know that non of the potential candidates for Rushen are going to be in the running for the top job. Which means my only way of influencing the selection is by voting for people who will choose a Chief Minister that will change the way Government operates. So I need to know, who'll they support. Do you think I'll get an answer?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alan Bell will be the next chief

corkill was finance minister before he became chief

Gelling also was finance minister before chief.

Lets hope some of the dead wood doesnt get in next time around anything has to be better than this ship of fools.

Difficult to see how this question can be answered until the results are declared. Could be a lot of changes - who knows? Until we know the results it is a waste of time because none of your favoured candidates might get in which means no votes for whoever they think would be CM.

It's a bit of a mess. Presumably the elected members will vote for whoever will give them a job as Minister, or Member of Dept. So in my view it is impossible to tell.

Difficult to see how this question can be answered

So in my view it is impossible to tell.

So why bother answering?

Moderators - can you put a stop to this blatant misuse of our forum?

If he wants to say something interesting or witty, fair enough. but we don't want this forum poisoned by pomposities of prospective politicians who use BlandSpeak in an attemt to appeal to anyone able to read.

Difficult to see how this question can be answered

So in my view it is impossible to tell.

So why bother answering?

Moderators - can you put a stop to this blatant misuse of our forum?

If he wants to say something interesting or witty, fair enough. but we don't want this forum poisoned by pomposities of prospective politicians who use BlandSpeak in an attemt to appeal to anyone able to read.

Er... your complaining because a possible prospective candidate replied to a topic entitled "My Question To Candidates In The Next Election."?

I don't think the moderators should act against Charles, he's posting as an ordinary poster when a topic sparks his attention. Just like everyone else. And I think the members of forums are smart enough to keep in mind his possible political asperations when reading his posts.

Oh and if you want to draw the mods attentions to a post use the report button they may not see your post in a thread.

Lawnmower,

Well have you got an answer?

I didn't ask the question in the first place but if you want to be offensive come and tell me to my face not hide behind a nick name.

Then you might find you are not so clever.

You mustn't assume the worst in politicians, prospective or otherwise. It is because those who put their head above the parapet get a load of insults from people like you few want to stand.

Sorry I can't be witty all the time.

Difficult to see how this question can be answered until the results are declared. Could be a lot of changes - who knows? Until we know the results it is a waste of time because none of your favoured candidates might get in which means no votes for whoever they think would be CM.

It's a bit of a mess. Presumably the elected members will vote for whoever will give them a job as Minister, or Member of Dept. So in my view it is impossible to tell.

Ha!!! I thought you might say that.

To be honest I think that is a cop out.

Candidates are asking for our votes, and we want to use them to have a say in how the Island is governed. How can we do this if we don't know what way they'll jump after the election? It seems to me unless we can get an inkling of how they will act immediately after the election are votes are effectively worthless.

But anyway, like I say, I was expecting to receive responses like that, so I have a follow-up question...

"What criteria will you use when chosing the next Chief Minister?"

The criteria I would use would be:

1. Has this person - man or woman got the interests of all the people in his/her heart. I would not want to see division within our community.

2. Will this person have the respect of the people and be able to represent them ably within and outside the IOM.

3. Does the prospective CM have experience at the apprpriate level of Manx politics - maybe business experience etc.

4.In my case I would be asking searching questions to any candidate about health, education, crime, ecoonomy, the environment, social issues. I am probably slightly left of centre on most issues but I would want to ensure the politician would listen to my viewpoint and act responsibly.

5. I may ask about a job but quite frankly this would be the last point.

6. All sorts of things I haven't thought of yet - maybe was he witty, fair, pompous - you know the sort of thing!

It's too difficult to answer as condidates wont know who the next 24 Keys will be.

I think a step towards having 12 Keys elected at 2 year intervals in the same way the United States Congress works would be fantastic. That would mean Tynwald would have to stay on it's toes, and not work towards an election, in unison, on year 4.

I also think our democracy would be much stronger if we just elected the Chief Minister.

Why don't you stand Declan? There's a lot more talent on this Msg Board than there currently is in Tynwald!

I think Lonan3 and BillyOneMate would make good MHKs too! :D

Archived