My Question To Candidates In The Next Election.

Declan

All things being equal I would vote for someone who practises and is seen to be doing good works - they may be Christian, Muslim, Buddhists or Freethinkers who are non religious. Let us have men and women of principle such as the Bishop in our Parliament.

No prob with that in principle (no pun intended) The Bishop should be allowed to put himself up for election in the same way as anyone else.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All things being equal I would vote for someone who practises and is seen to be doing good works - they may be Christian, Muslim, Buddhists or Freethinkers who are non religious. Let us have men and women of principle such as the Bishop in our Parliament.

No prob with that in principle (no pun intended) The Bishop should be allowed to put himself up for election in the same way as anyone else.

So that question is settled then!

Someone needs to go and tell him this! I am very heavily engaged at the moment so count me out. :unsure:

So that question is settled then!

Someone needs to go and tell him this! I am very heavily engaged at the moment so count me out. :unsure:

Very humorous Im sure but a lot of people think its important to have a fully elected parliament.

I dont have a problem with any religious organisation putting forward candidates for election but I have a big problem with the same organisations claiming seats in parliament by right.

Maybe someone could explain why the Bishop should be granted an exemption from democracy ?

I have no problem with the bishop contributing to a debate as some kind of 'spiritual' adviser, but I do have a problem with him being able to vote on such issues without a mandate from the electorate.

Most people would probably agree.

So what about the MLCs. I would like to see them sorted first before we start ganging up on a man of the cloth.

Yes indeed.

Some of you are ganging up on the best man in the Legislative Council - at least as far as intelligence goes.

We haven't got a democracy unless you count some MHK's old mates being put in the Legislative Council as legitimate.

I want all MLC's to be democratically elected but I think the Bishop's position needs to be handled sensitively as I believe a majority of the Manx people want to see it maintained. It is an ancient office, part of our heritage and in my view Bishops have used the privilege of having a vote and being able to speak appropriately and with great benefit to the ordinary people.

Well why is the LegCo away from the voter, i personally think that it is not fair these people who are paid by the tax payer are untouchable.

Let's have them up for election then we will see a bit of a change around, instead of this jobs for the boy's and girls.

The bishops part is there mainly i would say as a moral balance, the trouble is most of LegCo have no morals at all.

What i am also unhappy with the way a certain gang of mhk's want to take all powers from the governor WHY ?

Most of us have no problems with the Governor, so why change things that are not broke.

I agree. Changing the title to Crown Commissioner is a retrograde step. Is there no common sense in Tynwald? The choice should be between Governor or no Governor. I am firmly of the opinion the Governor should remain unless we have a better system of sorting out the mess that Tynwald has made of things.

Going back to MLC's. How anyone can allow their name to be put forward then take the position and help themselves to the substantial salary knowing the public have not voted him/her in is a complete mystery to me. I may have been trying to lighten things up a bit with the Bishop, but this is no joke. Those who put themselves forward in these circumstances and accept the position can have no conscience of what is right or wrong. Perhaps the Bishop could spare some time sorting them out and perhaps telling them they should relinquish the position and repay the salaries?

Maybe they could build a confession box in the new refurb wedding cake building.

We could call it the Ariel box, where things go in dirty and come out clean. :blink:

I just think the current government don't want the governor to have more power than the chief minister.

EGO MANIAC'S thats the problem.

The Bishop would make a great chief minister...

He is far more intelligent than all of LegCo. put together..and he is a gentleman..

I woud not like to see him lose his vote -we need more like him..

;);)

What i am also unhappy with the way a certain gang of mhk's want to take all powers from the governor WHY ?

Most of us have no problems with the Governor, so why change things that are not broke.

The governor is unelected and a representative of the United Kingdom. The island needs to stand up for itself in this day and age. I would prefer an elected government over an imposed governor anyday. This island is not a part of the UK and never will be. It's important that the island continues its progress to full independence which is entirely plausable and possible. Just because something isn't broken doesn't mean it doesn't need replacing - you may be happy at the quasi-independent state but it's an insult to Manx people who have a milennium of self-government and the UK doesn't represent our interests!

FULL INDEPENDENCE!!!

FULL INDEPENDENCE!!!

Legco already have full independence. They are accountable to none, not even the electorate whose money they are so free and easy with. IMHO that's the whole problem in a nutshell. There are NO checks and balances on your pharmacists and tractor salesmen. I would like to see a Lt Governor of real integrity armed with the authority to take blunderheads to task over their actions. Preferably by making them personally liable for crap decisions and unnecessary jollies.

FULL INDEPENDENCE!!!

Legco already have full independence. They are accountable to none, not even the electorate whose money they are so free and easy with. IMHO that's the whole problem in a nutshell. There are NO checks and balances on your pharmacists and tractor salesmen. I would like to see a Lt Governor of real integrity armed with the authority to take blunderheads to task over their actions. Preferably by making them personally liable for crap decisions and unnecessary jollies.

Well said mate - the 'goons' should be made pay for the crap which they force upon us..

If we as the people can't vote for people to go into Leg.Co. (as we would MHKs) then, the said 'goons' should be punished for their idiotic actions by they who own this island- which at the moment is the crown...

:ph34r::ph34r:

I want all MLC's to be democratically elected but I think the Bishop's position needs to be handled sensitively as I believe a majority of the Manx people want to see it maintained. It is an ancient office, part of our heritage and in my view Bishops have used the privilege of having a vote and being able to speak appropriately and with great benefit to the ordinary people.

This seems to be a real problem for you Charles.

You believe all MLC s should be elected except one, the Bishop ?

This doesnt really square with a democratic system of Government and it makes a nonsense

of your earlier claim that you wouldnt be influenced by the Church of England in matters political!

If you are intending to stand as MHK I think we should be told if you are a democrat or if you are in favour of granting special privileges to the Church of England. Sorry but you cant have it both ways.

FULL INDEPENDENCE!!!

We don't need a Brit to do this! We need a system where ALL politicians are responsible to their voters and where the LegCo is fully elected by the people not by the Keys members. The problems on Mannin can be sorted by the Manx without the aid of foreign governments.

Archived