Gas Prices Going Up Again

manxchatterbox

www.windsave.com - I think!

for wind turbines. Generate about a third of your household energy. They were on the island a couple of months ago at a not very well advertised energy saving demo in the Claremont. I was interested, but think there's greater savings to be made elsewhere. Eventually I'd like to have a wind turbine and solar panel, but currently thinking along the lines of this to begin with......

froeling

or

Atmos

It would be great if I could source a wood pellet supplier on the island, but looks more likely I'll use wood chip. Failing that, you can get combination wood and gas/oil versions - just to be on the safe side.

Couldn't a wind turbine feed its leccy into something like a computer-esque UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), i.e. essentially a big battery?

The guy I know (who is the one from the paper) stores extra electricity in industrial batteries in his garage for those days when his consumption outweighs the production. I do grant you that he's a very knowledgeable electronic engineer who has skills at his disposal that many other people don't.

He's had his installed for a year and he's already made back the money he invested in it. I guess it comes down to whether you prefer to accept the 'finger in the air' theoretical figures offered by a fervent MEA supporter or whether you'd prefer to accept the real world figures of someone who's actually done it, albeit second hand through me but I believe the information has been put into newspaper articles in the past.

Couldn't a wind turbine feed its leccy into something like a computer-esque UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), i.e. essentially a big battery?

The guy I know (who is the one from the paper) stores extra electricity in industrial batteries in his garage for those days when his consumption outweighs the production. I do grant you that he's a very knowledgeable electronic engineer who has skills at his disposal that many other people don't.

He's had his installed for a year and he's already made back the money he invested in it. I guess it comes down to whether you prefer to accept the 'finger in the air' theoretical figures offered by a fervent MEA supporter or whether you'd prefer to accept the real world figures of someone who's actually done it, albeit second hand through me but I believe the information has been put into newspaper articles in the past.

British Gas are selling wind generators at approximately £1500. They are also offering maintenance contracts and an installation service which, together, would seem to address ChinaHand's reservations.

British Gas Link

Cold weather pushes oil prices higher

Friday, January 06 12:59:15

(BizWorld)

Crude and natural-gas prices rose today, recovering some of their prior-session declines.

Crude for February delivery was up 72c, or 1.2pc, at USD63.55 a barrel in electronic trade.

Natural gas was up 35.2c, or 3.7pc, at USD9.851 per million British thermal units.

guess that means putting another pullover on as well as another fleece 'cos sure can't afford the gas central heating to be on for more than an hour a day now...

is it going to take a death from hypothermia to get the Govt to do something more for people who can't afford the bills...

and letters from the MEA threatening disconnection when you only owe £65!!! god they really must be shoprt of cash??

Archived