Can You Park A 65ft Yacht In The Langness Harbour?

manxchatterbox

From an article in the Times by a Langness resident....

"The trouble is that 65-footers are really very expensive. A million quid. And to park them anywhere you need a mooring that is just as much again.

So instead we’ve bought a lighthouse. It’s on the coast of the Isle of Man. And it has its own harbour. This hasn’t cured my longing for a boat. It’s made it even worse"

If I had a sixtyfive footer it wouldn't be at Langness it would be in Antigua...where would yours be?

From an article in the Times by a Langness resident....

"The trouble is that 65-footers are really very expensive. A million quid. And to park them anywhere you need a mooring that is just as much again.

So instead we’ve bought a lighthouse. It’s on the coast of the Isle of Man. And it has its own harbour. This hasn’t cured my longing for a boat. It’s made it even worse"

If I had a sixtyfive footer it wouldn't be at Langness it would be in Antigua...where would yours be?

It generally helps if you:

a: Specify what the feck you're on about, and

b: Include a link to the article, such as this one

In the meanwhile, why don't you grab a tape measure and see how long the harbour is? You could even use these specially modified fins for added performance:

post-1086-1136056694_thumb.jpg

I think he might be talking about

Jeremy Clarkson!

He writes for the Times and lives on Langness.....

Someone will probably try and ban him from using the sea because they cant walk on HIS land!

No that wasnt a suggestion - just a dig at the idiots who still protest their right of way on HIS land!

I think you are displaying an obtuse point of view.

If a person buys a piece of land with a public right of way through it then they buy a piece of land with a, well, a public right of way through it. Simple enough?

Now, it may well be that there is not a public right of way through this particular land but of course on the other hand . . . .

So, it has to be tested. Probably in the courts, for what that is worth.

Do you think that if it was as simple as putting in capitals that it is 'HIS land', then that should sort it?

There are many, many, peices of privately owned land on the Isle of Man that have a public right of way through them. Sorry, but that is fact.

Whether or not this particular location is one of them or not can't be sorted out by people protesting from their off-hand 'seems wrong/right to me guv' type logic. Innit.

it would have to bee beemuda

lots of rum sun and cheep moreings and lots of hunny too

ps no trespassing laws on the sea dont u know

Nope, it really is simple.

It's Clarkson's land, and there isn't a public right of way over it. Government has conceded that too.

Ahh, right of course, the g o v e r n m e n t. Yes, they did say there wasn't a right of way marked on a map. I could have told them, and you, that.

Now, I am not sayin there is or there isn't a RoW through there, but it takes more than someone sat behind a computer screen to lay the law down on this one.

Read this case for starters This case may not be directly relevant but it shows the level of understanding you may need, other than to make a decision on something using the criteria of 'he must be right because he is that nice bloke that's on the telly, let's not hassle him or he may say nasty things about us'. Sort of thing.

Already done to death before now.

RIP PROWL.

:P

Ahh, mission, the old 'done to death' retort. No, it has not been done to death otherwise it would not have been mentioned.

Sorry to be personal, but I know both Grumble and Mission. Both love their cars. Both (appear) to hate the fresh air and walking in the countryside. Both are big fans of Jeremy Clarkson. A bit like myself really.

Except I hope I am able to look at a situation objectively and with a degree of detachment.

Oh, and just for the avoidance of any doubt, I have nothing whatsoever to do with PROWL or any other group.

Grudingly, Nipper, I think you are right, it is not a straight forward black or white matter. The Government is not the final arbiter in cases like this, it is the courts, (unless of course Parliament decides to legislate upon the matter).

You need only look as the Waterfront matter in Jersey to see how wrong a Government can be regarding rights over land! In summary, millions of pounds have been spent by the Government reclaiming land on the waterfront in St Helier over a number of years. But the land was subject to certain rights which the Government poo-pooed, then did a massive u- turn resulting in substantial compensation being paid to the holder of those rights.

Having said that the Langness matter has been distorted because of the high profile personality involved. For what its worth, I think JC has acted reasonably and fairly, bearing in mind that he does not believe that there are any public rights of way over his land. Whereas, the PROWL people have over reacted, bearing in mind that they cannot be certain that there are public rights of way!

I hope he does put a 65ft yacht down in Langness, but isn't it the draught of a boat rather than the length which has to be considered when mooring?

Archived