Manx Radio's Look Back On 2005

nipper

Manx Radio have just done an excellent review of the year.

Lots of feel-good news eg. Norman Wisdom 90th birthday and lots of 'how it is'

MEA, Solway Harvester, Roly Drower case, Ned, etc.

One item that interested me was one regarding the fund raising for Hospice and a wonderful £3/4 million donation Manx Radio News Item Here. So even with all the work and donations Hospice now finds it actually needs another £2million.

I realise it is a marvellous cause and all that. But when will people realise that Isle of Man, the centre of excellence for all things financial (???????????) , just hasn't got a clue how to manage money (only how to suck more out of us lot of mugs)

New Hospital

----IRIS

-------MEA

-----------Government Buildings

etc ad nauseum.

Yep. IoM knows EXACTLY how to handle cash.

Keep smiling folks

Happy New Year

:)

Whilst you have to support a cause like the Hospice, I do find it amazing that having reached its target, it now needs the same again! What happened?

The Mighty Oak had its moment on centre-fundraising stage and having taken the whole cherry, not just a bite, now wants to return for a second helping. The danger, of course, is that funding is sucked away from other equally worthy, but less prominent, causes.

One that comes to mind, for example, is the womens' refuge. By its very nature a low key organisation, but very grateful for anything which can be given. The 'clients' (women and, invariably, their children) turn up with only the clothes on their back and there is little prospect of being able to return to the matrimonial home to collect the basics.

So even a small percentage of what the Mighty Oak is hoping for would go a very long way for that charity. There are countless others too, that would provide a real benefit for their clients for a very small amount.

One which I have followed with a little interest is Crossroads Caring for Young Carers, they just wanted to set up something akin to a youth club for young carers of disabled parents to give those youngsters somewhere to be what they are! Their requirements were simple things like PSP2s, sofas, coffee making equipment etc.

Not a great deal in terms of money, but something which would provide immense benefit to the kids who use it.

Perhaps it is time for the Government to sit down with St Bridgets and discuss exactly what it is they need, what can be afforded and see how it may be provided, leaving the other less prominent charities to avail themselves of the spare change in our pockets!

when charities start acting like businesses it will start to cost more, to do less.

Charities HAVE to act like the most parsimonious businesses to achieve their aims. They have to have the profit motivator, except rather than paying to shareholders, they are paying to the cause they are seeking to support. They should be run by the best commercial minds because, despite the charitable motive, they are still businesses vying for our money and having to live within the same economic boundaries as profit-making concerns.

They can, and should, certainly depend on more voluntary support and expect their executives to be remunerated at a modest level, but they have to be run in a business-like and commercial manner (within the confines of their charitable status, before some legal eagle glances that) in order to fulfill their objectives.

I don't agree with a second Mighty Oak Appeal, in fact (and I know they have to be financially realistic) I think it's pretty cheeky. But most of all I'm disgusted the Government hasn't stepped in. That WILL be something I'll be raising with my MHK come election time.

I think a second Mighty Oak will just damage other charities on the Island.

As for financial mis-management of large scale public building projects - sure they're EXTREMELY frustrating when they're over budget and behind schedule (Wedding Cake!!!), but they're certainly not unique to the Island. Scottish Parliament and Millennium Dome anyone?

Chairman John Quinn has been pretty outspoken in his condemnation of Government AND others, so will find it hard to go back cap in hand now. I agree, it's out of order to expect a second major push after all the work that went on first time, and the effect on other local charities.

However, I get the feeling that the hospice people don't WANT Government to step in - maybe because they don't want to relinquish control at this late stage?

I think Government should build and own the fabric of the new hospice (thereby showing as an asset on the books) and let it out to St Bridget's at a peppercorn annual rent to run as they see fit. Seems they've done a bloody good job of it so far.

Makes me angry to see the profligate tax wasted on inquiries and capital project overspends...we need a new hospice and we want it now!

Chairman John Quinn has been pretty outspoken in his condemnation of Government AND others, so will find it hard to go back cap in hand now. I agree, it's out of order to expect a second major push after all the work that went on first time, and the effect on other local charities.

However, I get the feeling that the hospice people don't WANT Government to step in - maybe because they don't want to relinquish control at this late stage?

I think Government should build and own the fabric of the new hospice (thereby showing as an asset on the books) and let it out to St Bridget's at a peppercorn annual rent to run as they see fit. Seems they've done a bloody good job of it so far.

Makes me angry to see the profligate tax wasted on inquiries and capital project overspends...we need a new hospice and we want it now!

I understand entirely what you are saying, but this charity has dominated the fund raising for so long it is disheartening to see it back for more!

Perhaps a cap in hand retrenchment is what is needed. After all, this is not about preserving personal positions or egos, its about getting something that the Island needs delivered! What I suggested in my earlier post was that the hospice and Government should sit down and identify what was needed (the wish list), what can be afforded between the two (the would-like list) and what can be delivered (the reality list).

A leasing project is probably the most likely to deliver, but to call again on huge amounts of generosity for just one worthy cause is belittling other equally worthy causes.

I have, sadly, known two or three families (one of which was very dear to me) who have had the wonderful help and support of the hospice. But in the greater scheme of things, I suspect that they would like to see the charity and Government get their act together and make it happen this time instead of diverting funding away from the more peripheral, but equally needed, organisations on the Island.

Re Hospice:

So the target of £2million is met. Thankfully with a single donation of £750,00. Without that we'd have been going for a few more years.

But it has turned out that there is now more money needed to rectify problems with the site behind Nobles Hospital. And the figure needed to sort the problems out happens to be er,. . . . . . £750,000 !!!! Easy come easy go. And into who's pockets will that mostly go I wonder?

But due to rising building costs - evidently rising at more than a tad over inflation - another £2.5million in total is required.

"...the estimated cost of the new Hospice has increased from £5million to over £7 million"

Anyway here's a link to a Manx Radio report Chairman spells it out

The Isle of Man - a place of spiralling, spiralling £millions . . . . .

Archived