Manx Telecom Service

Hangfire

One of the advantages of having competition in any industry is that it keeps everyone "on their toes" - service suppliers and service receivers. MT arguably has little incentive to provide other than what the "body corporate" i.e. its Board of Directors think (or are convinced by other senior staff) is appropriate for us mere mortals to have. As a subsidiary of a plc, the Board will have profit levels to hit year on year. Thus, as long as share holders are "satisfied" i.e. making money, first and foremost, the users (us) become a secondary thought, even though it is through service receivers such as us, profits are earned. Many of the MT staff I know are honest, hard working people who would like to do lots of the things that happen in the UK and elswehere in the world (including more competitive pricing structures) but are required to do what they are told "from above", even if it would mean a better and / or more cost effective service (Note :I accept this desire for staff to want to do better things for customers but are impeded by management is all too common in many organisations)

The issue is often not the company per se, or the staff in general, but those that have the final say and which the employees have to follow or get out (again no different to other organisations). Now that MT is heavily tied into IOM Govt in providing a range of services, the likelihood of them responding to users is probably very slim, unless of course it would raise income streams. As MT (like most telecos') make more profit from data than voice traffic, then it looks as though we users will have limited choice other than to grin and bear it, and thank those wonderful MT directors for the morsels they cast from their corporate table in our direction. The fact that through the increasingly greater bills and poor service, we pay their wages, seems irrelevant! And the fact they are supposed to be providing a service to Island residents, beyond their comprehension.

Rant over!

Galen

Nice true honest post...

Last Ten

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the advantages of having competition in any industry is that it keeps everyone "on their toes" - service suppliers and service receivers. MT arguably has little incentive to provide other than what the "body corporate" i.e. its Board of Directors think (or are convinced by other senior staff) is appropriate for us mere mortals to have. As a subsidiary of a plc, the Board will have profit levels to hit year on year. Thus, as long as share holders are "satisfied" i.e. making money, first and foremost, the users (us) become a secondary thought, even though it is through service receivers such as us, profits are earned. Many of the MT staff I know are honest, hard working people who would like to do lots of the things that happen in the UK and elswehere in the world (including more competitive pricing structures) but are required to do what they are told "from above", even if it would mean a better and / or more cost effective service (Note :I accept this desire for staff to want to do better things for customers but are impeded by management is all too common in many organisations)

The issue is often not the company per se, or the staff in general, but those that have the final say and which the employees have to follow or get out (again no different to other organisations). Now that MT is heavily tied into IOM Govt in providing a range of services, the likelihood of them responding to users is probably very slim, unless of course it would raise income streams. As MT (like most telecos') make more profit from data than voice traffic, then it looks as though we users will have limited choice other than to grin and bear it, and thank those wonderful MT directors for the morsels they cast from their corporate table in our direction. The fact that through the increasingly greater bills and poor service, we pay their wages, seems irrelevant! And the fact they are supposed to be providing a service to Island residents, beyond their comprehension.

Rant over!

Galen

Nice true honest post...

Last Ten

Which is why the terms of their licence should put in place conditions to replicate competition; minimum service standards, and capped tariffs. What is the point of giving a licence for a monopoly if there are no terms worked in to protect the consumer, unless of couse it is just a licence to print money!

Anyone else get charged for unsent texts when network was jammed <_< ?

Yes. Fleecing bastards.

On Manx Radio news on Sunday it reported that MT would refund multiple texts.

so how exactly are they going to do that?

Yes my partner sent txts out and some went 10 times or more, he phoned MT and they took his mobile number, so you need to phone them to get a refund by the sound of it.

You can always write a letter of complaint to MT about pricing or write a letter to the regulator.

At least there IS a regulator, not like energy prices !

re the telcos I appreciate that such a mechanism exists, but see little point when the regulator is, I believe, a Government appointee and the concern / complaint is about one of Government's major contractors. The more money MT make the more money IOM Govt earn through MT paying higher taxes. To put it into a seasonal context, it is similar to turkeys voting for Christmas!

As to enegy prices I thought the Office of Fair Trading was charged with looking into the pricing structures?

You can always write a letter of complaint to MT about pricing or write a letter to the regulator.

re the telcos I appreciate that such a mechanism exists, but see little point when the regulator is, I believe, a Government appointee and the concern / complaint is about one of Government's major contractors. The more money MT make the more money IOM Govt earn through MT paying higher taxes. To put it into a seasonal context, it is similar to turkeys voting for Christmas!

As to enegy prices I thought the Office of Fair Trading was charged with looking into the pricing structures?

Moaning here wont change anything, so if you wont write in and complain, then you might as well accept your lot.

Correct, they are going to look into it, but that is not the same as having an Energy Regulator - far from it.

The Govt won't be earning higher taxes from MT from April on!

Correct...the £1m that would have been paid to the government has instead been budgeted to offset a revenue reduction by the same amount. In other words, tariffs will change so that the revenue is £1m less but profits remain the same.

And he is going to do what?

There is one thing for sure he will certainly not rock the boat...

Last 10

How do you know if you dont complain to him ? :wacko:

OK lfc84 point taken about complaining!

Let's just turn this around a little and look at my personal gripe about Pronto Go call charges, if I write to the regulator Mr Hamilton of the Communications Commission and explain how I believe the Proto mobile phone tariffs on the Island are way to expensive, especially the Pronto Go tariff that lot's of kids use to keep in touch with their parents etc, what is he going to do to decrease that pricing structure.

Be honest lfc84, what will he be able to do?

Last Ten

• 3 months later...

If the Channel Islands have got more than 1 mobile operator why are we still waiting.

Some guys from India are moving into Gurnsey to provide a 3G service

A MAJOR player in the mobile phone market in India has emerged as a surprise contender for a 3G licence in the island.

Bharti Global, the largest operator in the Indian sub-continent, was granted a mobile licence in Jersey last year.

It also won a 15-year class II licence in that island to establish itself and run telecom services. The company has rebranded itself there as Jersey Telenet.

Bharti will compete with Cable & Wireless for the licence, which will allow another operate to join Wave in the local 3G market.

C&W deliberately chose to stay out of the 3G market when the first licence was offered in Guernsey.

The Office of Utility Regulation is running the competition for the licence as a so-called beauty parade and the successful bidder will have to pay a £250,000 licence fee.

Archived