Wireless Wireless

Declan

I listen to the radio a lot. However, at the moment, I have only two viable methods of doing so -

- at my pc

- via sky tv

Neither of these are ideal, as others in the house might want to watch something on Satellite and I'm not always at my PC.

FM and AM reception at home are woeful, and has got worse (Radio 5 practically unavailable, and even Manx Radio is hit and miss). Ideally, I would like to use DAB, so that I can get decent reception and have access to BBC 6Music, but there seems to be no plans for this in the immediate future.

Anyway, I'm wondering if a WiFi Internet Radio Reciever (or a wireless wireless, as I think it should be renamed) is the answer - I'm looking at this.

This is basically, a radio that connects to my wireless broadband connection, independently of my PC, and accesses internet radio streams. This should mean that I have access to even more stations than DAB would provide.

Anyway, I'm wondering are there any locals using wireless wireless at the moment? What are your experiences of using this type of radio?

Are there any drawbacks that the marketing information don't give? For example do MT have restrictions on this kind of thing?

Are there limitiations on the range of stations available, I'm interested in -

BBC Radio Digitial Stations (including Listen Again).

Other streamed stations like WFMU and KCRW in the states.

Manx Radio.

Shoutcast stations.

Similar sort of situation here.

[1] Put a VHF lower power PCI transmitter card in your PC (illegal but does work).

[2] There are legal ways of rebroadcasting around the house - takes the audio from your soundcard and you have a wirless loudspeaker you take with you. Cost circa GBP 40.

In fact I have an ACER laptop in the bathroom but [2] is a better option.

That's worth thinking about, but part of my reasons for asking was to have radio without turning my computer on.

I get your point but these devices are still very expensive, I expect the price to drop significantly over the next few years. There are a few alternatives at around the GBP 100 mark but reviews are a bit dire.

Me - I'm lucky - live in Switzerland, Manx Radio via Internet and full BBC / ITV 1-2-3 on satellite unencrypted.

Just a bit of snow to contend with:

thumb-DSC00240.JPG

And the local politicians - just like the IOM bunch :angry:

But that would mean leaving the computer on, just for the radio. Which seems wasteful just to get my alarm clock set to Five Live.

I was really woundering are there any issues using the radio I linked to with a wireless broadband through MT.

Yeah, I think I'd go for a slim devices first, that will plug into a proper hifi rather than a 200 quid clock radio with no line out.

Prolly do what you want declan, but it's a lot of dosh. Not cheaper to sort yourself out with an fm antenna?

Archived