Search For New Governor

Addie

Does he actually do anything worthwhile we should care about?

I think...

The Govoner is called the Queen's Representative, ie If the Queen was available, she would sit in each meeting of Tynwald and would have absolute authority over all events and proceedings.

Because it isn't practical for the Queen to do that, she appoints a representative to sit in on her behalf and he/she assumes all authority that the Monach would have.

Although unlikely, the Governer can in theory stop Tynwald proceedings, close the Court and absolve the powers to the English Crown.

I believe that he can (without recourse) sack any or all of the members of Tynwald. One of his funtions is to oversee the introduction of new laws or ammendments. I don't think he votes on any issues, but all items must ultimately go through him to be passed for Royal Ascent.

In the purest form, he is answerable only to the Crown and can not be swayed by local high profile "celebraties" as a local incumbant may be. Not having any history or association with any of the ynwald Members prior to his appointment goes some way towards his/her impartiality.

I would nominate Lady Thatcher.

I really would.

If not her then Michale Hesseltine.

I suspect that either would exercise their prerogative and sack certain MHK's in damn short order.

Archived