Minimum Wage & Planet T&g

scoobe

'As a target figure, all European countries should set their sights on a national minimum wage norm of at least 60% of the average national wage. As a short-term interim target, all countries should introduce a minimum norm corresponding to 50% of the average national wage.'

If this plan was implemented - then the cheapest solution for business, in general, would be to reduce wages at the top end of the payscale. Thus reducing the average national wage.

Dont really think thats the point. The general idea is to protect low wage workers from being exploited.

That is where Bernard is coming from as well.

Memory tells me in Portugal there are special let outs for companies with less than 10 workers. I think the same applies in Spain as well.

Difference between those countries and Isle of Man is the level of GDP per head. Isle of Man is right at the top of the tree. Dont I remember something about prosperous and caring society being Government policy and werent we told wealth would trickle down to everyone ?

Now about that minimum wage:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now about that minimum wage:

European Minimum Wages

I've just found this website which shows that a minimum wage is in place across most of Europe. The table shows a difference in hourly wage ranging from Euro 0.36 per hour in Bulgaria to Euro 7.61 in France. Some countries have a minimum daily, weekly or monthly range again with a low of only Euro 69.00 per month in Bulgaria.

A minimum wage of 7.00GBP would make us top of the table which would be a similar position to where the island is anyway but it would also help people a great deal even if it would only affect a small percentage of the island's population.

* Edited to include the bloody link - it's not my night tonight!

oh why don't we just pay everyone a million pounds a week and be done with it ffs.

that's sound economic sense.

if people want more than a fiver an hour they should better themselves not wait for a poxy hand out.

we live in a society where too many people believe they are owed a f*****g living.

well pucker up buttercup because YOU'RE NOT!

Archived