Port St Mary Harbour Appeal

Charles Flynn

I live in PSM as I have done for the past 21 years, give us the vote - bring on the marina. The village has closed shop after shop over the past 20 years we need something to bring people and money back into what was once a thriving village.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I live in PSM as I have done for the past 21 years, give us the vote - bring on the marina. The village has closed shop after shop over the past 20 years we need something to bring people and money back into what was once a thriving village.

Bazcabs,

Thank you for this.

You are talking about the issue of main concern to PSM residents. No one wants to see the Village close down for business so let's see how this can be done and accommodate people such as the Angling Club which bring tourists to the area.

Charles,

Let's be realistic, the few people brought in by the Angling Club cannot be compared to the number of people that would arrive as a result of a Marina.

Every Marina I have visited (all-around the Irish sea) has been a boost to the economy and speaking to shopkeepers, cafe owners etc the response is any initial resistance vanishes once people see the marina in operation.

The Island and the village cannot be held to ransom by a few worm danglers and coffin dodgers. The Island and more importantly Port St Mary needs the injection that the maritime leisure industry can offer, there again they don’t have Manx crabs to contend with!

Charles,

Let's be realistic, the few people brought in by the Angling Club cannot be compared to the number of people that would arrive as a result of a Marina.

Every Marina I have visited (all-around the Irish sea) has been a boost to the economy and speaking to shopkeepers, cafe owners etc the response is any initial resistance vanishes once people see the marina in operation.

The Island and the village cannot be held to ransom by a few worm danglers and coffin dodgers. The Island and more importantly Port St Mary needs the injection that the maritime leisure industry can offer, there again they don’t have Manx crabs to contend with!

Biker,

I am not prepared to proceed as a witness on the basis that the marina must be stopped at all costs as of course the village must prosper, but I do hope that a solution can be found that will satisfy the Angling club which as far as I am aware simply want comparable facilities to that which they have enjoyed traditionally for many years.

I have asked for views on this Forum. It is no good asking for them and then ignoring them.

Some of them at least I hope to use as evidence so that what I say is reasonably balanced. I intend to discuss this with Mannin Angling before the hearing.

Any thoughts from anyone who is an angler would really be appreciated to see how my aim can be achieved.

I am very pleased that I have posted this on the Forum so that I can get a better overrall picture of village views.

THERE ARE NOW TWO PETITIONS ON THIS SITE.

ONE FOR AND ONE AGAINST THE MARINA.

IF YOU SIGN EITHER ONE IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IF YOU COULD ENTER YOUR LOCATION AND ANY COMMENTS.

Against:

http://petitiononline.com/PSMYM/petition.html

For:

http://new.petitiononline.com/PSMYM1/petition.html

Hope this is OK for voting purposes.

Being a german sailor planing to visit the IOM, a marina in PSM would make me go there instead of visiting Douglas or Peel. This would mean me and five friends would visit the village for a day or two, buy a beer or two and some food in a local pub/restaurant and buying some fresh provisions/fish.

All this provided that the marina would be adapted to the village and fit into the area of course, because nobody wants a sterile marina that has no connection to the village....

I have heard the proposed Port St Mary Marina being described as the overspill marina from Douglas!

Anyhow there was something in the news from the British Marine Federation claiming that UK planning problems are threatening the growth prospects of the UK's leisure boating industry. Constraints on the provision of moorings and marinas were holding back growth.

The BMF Chief Executive says he needs opportunities for sustainable growth but we are currently getting almost no development at all.

There are currently some 265,000 moorings in the UK, nearly 60% of which are in coastal areas. There are around 100,000 boats in inland waters.

The Chief Executive will be defining sustainable in economic terms but also we have to consider the social and environmental impacts which can make planning development controversial.

I notice although a lot of heat has been generated by this debate, few have signed either petition. It would appear on line Forum petitions run into difficulty but I would urge everyone to consider putting their name to either petition.

I have now been informed that this Appeal will be heard next Wednesday 18th January from 9.30 a.m.

at:

The Wedding Room,

Civil Registries,

Deemster Walk,

Buck's Road,

Douglas.

I don't know if all are welcome by the powers that be but it is a Public Hearing.

The Appeal Hearing was completed today and the decision of the independent inspector will be announced in due course.

It is obvious that there is still a long way to go if a marina is eventually to be receive approval. Safety, economics, flood risk etc have still to be assessed. Another planning application will need to be submitted and this approved before any work could start on harbour dredging or building new breakwaters.

So we shall have to wait and see... My opinion is that nothing is likely to happen for some considerable time.

So we shall have to wait and see... My opinion is that nothing is likely to happen for some considerable time.

That could be a quotation from any Manx politician - past or present - on any subject.

Yes you are right. That is how it works in the Isle of Man.

At the Appeal Hearing it was only the Harbour Division of Government who supported this plan. Not a single other person spoke anything in its favour - residents, Port St Mary Commissioners, fishermen, anglers, the planning committee of DOLGE - everyone said it was a misconceived project which was not wanted. It cannot possibly go ahead until the people who make their living from the sea clear it as safe. They say the proposed new entrance to the harbour is too narrow and difficult to navigate.

Yes we will have to wait and see because it is the present politicians who are in charge - perhaps November will see some changes. It is their plan. It was started by a Government Dept. So far it has been a waste of time and money and is causing a great deal of personal distress to a lot of people.

If anyone wanted to see what the people of Port St Mary thought about it they should have come to this Hearing.

• 2 months later...

I understand there is a letter in the post telling me the appeal was successful i.e. there will be no Marina under the present proposals.

Maybe now the marina developers will get the message that the island really does have its head stuck in the sand and look to more forward think locales that are open to investment and improvement.

Damn shame, but predictable I guess.

Archived