Icon Of England

cheesemonster2005

Next up - the icon of the Isle of Man...

Manx cats

3 legs of man

Shoprite carrier bags

ignorant and predjudice locals...

Ignorant and prejudiced against what exactly? That sounds like a very ignorant and prejudiced comment to me, you can't judge a country by a few of it's locals, - unless it's England of course :lol:

for icons, the laxey wheel, the pound note, the birch (no more sadly)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dynamic cities.

Wonderful countryside.

Accents that change from town to town.

A (mostly) Tolerant society.

A judicial system that can be manipulated to change unjust laws.

St George - Not English but a good example of someone who spoke out against prejudice.

English Curry & Chinese food (and all the other flavours).

Sunday lunch & English Breakfasts.

Local breweries.

The NHS.

The English language & literature.

I could go on... I love England, I also love the Isle of Man.

Sweeping generalisations a go go...

It's hard to compare a small Island nation with a major European country or worst yet a continent! I'm sure there are some wonderful independent ice cream makers out there! But Walls & Ola are all part of Unilever see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbrand

Yes it was a generalisation. I've only experienced the most popular ice cream brands in Poland, Germany, Netherlands, Czech & Slovak Republics, Ukraine, Hungary, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Italy. So not quite the whole of Europe.

Most British ice cream is of a poor standard because they don't use real cream or real flavours. Apparently (unsure if it's true) this started during WW2 due to rationing and never changed.

So what's it to be? Unfortunately you can't vote for football hooliganism, imperializm or the ability to shoot protesters dead in Derry. Can you guess what's in the lead so far - oh go on, go on, go on, go on, go on

Why can't we mention football hooliganism, surely that is one of Britains best known "icons" if not one of it's better known "exports"......

Bizarrely enough, in much of my previous travelling years, many of the taxi drivers I spoke to (NY, LA, Singapore, Miami, UAE & Hong Kong from what I can remmeber) happened to mention they loved Benny Hill & some of them also mentioned Mr Bean.

Why can't we mention football hooliganism, surely that is one of Britains best known "icons" if not one of it's better known "exports"......

Bizarrely enough, in much of my previous travelling years, many of the taxi drivers I spoke to (NY, LA, Singapore, Miami, UAE & Hong Kong from what I can remmeber) happened to mention they loved Benny Hill & some of them also mentioned Mr Bean.

OK you can vote for hooligans!

The Poles love Benny Hill although I can't stand him. You'll find Benny DVDs given away free with magazines every week. Bean is also popular too and Fawlty Towers.

Archived