New Out Of Town Superstore

manxchatterbox

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn't the rumour that flats were going up on the present tesco site and they were moving out to the Business Park.

I cant see this when Tesco have just spent a fortune with the refurb of the current store

It's a cheap structure and access would be better at the business park. They could also make a packet with the sale of the land.

It wouldn't be too expensive to shift the store - there are firms with great expertise in this area. A Company I worked for with 500 employees moved over the weekend from one site to another and lost only two hours or so, from memory Pickfords managed the move.

It may be simple to say they will make a "packet" from selling the land, but also they would need to spend a packet - a very big packet if it's a bussiness park - to buy the land they want!!!!!

Not that simple. As I remember it Tesco do not own the land. They lease it from the co-op

These large stores seem to invest huge amounts in their stores, but they really are just large scale nissen huts. So moving isn't a huge problem, as the Guinness drinker says, the very act of moving is, logistically, quite easy.

These superstores (by virtue of their construction) have a very short return on capital period, so it is only a matter of a couple of years and the building has made its return, making it very easy to then refurbish (only cosmetic) or up-sticks.

What is probably more likely, is that the current Tesco's site is prime development site for residential accommodation, given the eventual rejuvenation of the quay area. So a simple trade-off of a rent-free period to offset the costs of relocation, and Bob's your mother's brother!

Nothing wrong with that, as long as the roads etc. around the new site can take the volume, and seeing how the traffic moves around Tesco's at the moment, a move would be consistent with plans to beautify the quay. AND there is adequate public transport to the new store.

All supposition at the moment, though!

The big problem with out of town stores is that the poorest folk cant afford to get to them. Result is that people on the lowest incomes, think of Granny for example, find themselves having to use the most expensive smaller shops.

Maybe it would be a good idea for Central Government to actively discourage this sort of out of town development and put some effort into redeveloping the town centres. Lets face it Douglas shopping centre is looking decidedly tatty these days and if we could solve a social problem as well as tiddlying up the town it would be a job well done.

The big problem with out of town stores is that the poorest folk cant afford to get to them. Result is that people on the lowest incomes, think of Granny for example, find themselves having to use the most expensive smaller shops.

Maybe it would be a good idea for Central Government to actively discourage this sort of out of town development and put some effort into redeveloping the town centres. Lets face it Douglas shopping centre is looking decidedly tatty these days and if we could solve a social problem as well as tiddlying up the town it would be a job well done.

I think there's a lot wrong with Douglas city centre but the shopping street looks nice imo compared with similar sized towns and cities in Ireland or the UK. What's needed is space for more shops and it appears they're preparing for it already by making North quay into a semi-pedestrianized area (or at least I guess that's what they're up to). A major shopping area on the quay would bring focus to that side of the city which looks really attractive and is the very centre of the capital.

But yes out of town places do alienate many people. Tesco in Poland offer free buses from the city centre to their stores - why isn't this done on Mannin? The stores all open 24/7 to appeal to all users.

I think there's a lot wrong with Douglas city centre but the shopping street looks nice imo compared with similar sized towns and cities in Ireland or the UK.

Could do with a bit of tiddlying up. Its starting to look tatty.

But yes out of town places do alienate many people. Tesco in Poland offer free buses from the city centre to their stores - why isn't this done on Mannin? The stores all open 24/7 to appeal to all users.

Dont know why thats not done but it sounds like a damn good idea. Not as good as investing in the town centresbut a good idea all the same.

As for 24 hour shopping, please dont mention it again, my wife might see it.

It may be simple to say they will make a "packet" from selling the land, but also they would need to spend a packet - a very big packet if it's a bussiness park - to buy the land they want!!!!!

Not that simple. As I remember it Tesco do not own the land. They lease it from the co-op

I think you'll find some guy from Bride now owns the Tesco site and ££££££££££££££s talk ;)

The bus is free for OAP's, there are many organisations to help the aged with their shopping. My mother (not a granny) who is 81 drives to the shops in Ramsey and has good neighbours if needed (snow, blizzard etc.).

Douglas has always been tatty but looks a great deal better than it did 30 or even 20 years aago.

Moving Tesco's will reduce traffic.

Archived