Bbc Sport Covers Zoe Gillings

partypolitics

If she wins a gold (and here's hoping!) will she be allowed to have the Manx Flag and the Manx National Anthem? I expect not as she's in the GB team (Shame).

Wow a Manx snowboarder. Surely it's a basic right that she be allowed to choose the anthem and flag of her own country? No Manx person should be expected to sing the UK national anthem, swear allegiance to that Queen or hold the Union flag.

Is there not a Manx team?

It's the GB Team including Scottish, Welsh athletes etc - they don't have their anthems played, neither should she.

They should all have the choice. Many Scottish people would hate to have to sing the English national anthem (as that's what it is even if it is for the whole of the UK). Considering the fact that the island isn't part of the UK why should we sing that anthem especially as it pays tribute to some lazy, good-for-nothing Queen.

As it's the GB team what happens to those from the north of Ireland? Do they take part in the Irish team - if so, brilliant!

As it's the GB team what happens to those from the north of Ireland? Do they take part in the Irish team - if so, brilliant!

I believe NI atheletes also come under GB.

UK or GB?

"There is sometimes confusion over the correct use of 'United Kingdom' and 'Great Britain', and what constitutes 'The British Isles'.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (the UK or United Kingdom for short) is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The term 'Great Britain' (GB or just Britain) refers to the area covered by England, Scotland and Wales. (However, the terms are sometimes interchangable - for example, in the Olympics the UK is represented by the 'Great Britain Olympic Team'.)

One way to look at this is that the UK is the part of the British Isles for which Parliament makes laws. (But note: there is no such thing as 'British Law'; the courts in Northern Ireland and Scotland have the right to interpret laws in their own way.) However, the UK is also responsible, under international law, for some other areas, including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. The Queen is sovereign over these areas, but they are not part of the UK.

Despite the fact that Parliament has devolved power to Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, the UK is not a federation, but a unitary state.

The British Isles is an area divided between two sovereign states, namely the UK and the Republic of Ireland. It includes the Isle of Man. Use of this term sometimes includes the Channel Islands, but this is not consistent."

I believe NI atheletes also come under GB.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (the UK or United Kingdom for short) is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The term 'Great Britain' (GB or just Britain) refers to the area covered by England, Scotland and Wales. (However, the terms are sometimes interchangable - for example, in the Olympics the UK is represented by the 'Great Britain Olympic Team'.)

One way to look at this is that the UK is the part of the British Isles for which Parliament makes laws. (But note: there is no such thing as 'British Law'; the courts in Northern Ireland and Scotland have the right to interpret laws in their own way.) However, the UK is also responsible, under international law, for some other areas, including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. The Queen is sovereign over these areas, but they are not part of the UK.

Despite the fact that Parliament has devolved power to Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, the UK is not a federation, but a unitary state.

The British Isles is an area divided between two sovereign states, namely the UK and the Republic of Ireland. It includes the Isle of Man. Use of this term sometimes includes the Channel Islands, but this is not consistent."[/i]

That's bloody cheeky to include athletes from the north of Ireland in the GB term. As you've stated Great Britain is a geographical term for the island which includes England, Scotland and Wales and obviously not the north of Ireland or the Isle of Man.

As for the devolved parliaments of Scotland and Wales - what a joke! Their parliaments can do sweet FA and the people of Scotland who've hoped for self-government for decades have been cheated. Hopefully the mess in the north of Ireland will be shorted and the people offered a proper power-sharing government which treats Catholics the same as Provos or given the chance to have a future vote on becoming part of Ireland.

Incredible.

A thread about how well a manx athlete is doing and the second post turns it into a thread about nationalism.

Well done Zoe - enjoy the olympics !

I wasn't turning this thread into a thread about nationalism!! For-god-sake lighten up! I only asked if she could have her own flag and anthem! It would be wonderful to hear Oh Land of Our Birth played, especially for Zoe, being a Manx person. It would make her especially unique and at the same time raise the profile (in a positive way) for the Island. I'm delighted for Zoe and really hope she wins gold and goes on to more fantastic things.

Don't be so quick to make assumptions! Just for the record, I could never bring myself to sing God Save the Queen, but that's a personal choice.

Good point.

Sorry to fuel the Nationalism thing, but I know many peole who are as Manx as can be and who are only too keen to sing God Save The Queen. They know, you see, the effects of too much so called Independence on this Island.

Back on thread

Well done Zoe, we'll be looking out for you.

I wasn't turning this thread into a thread about nationalism!! For-god-sake lighten up! I only asked if she could have her own flag and anthem! It would be wonderful to hear Oh Land of Our Birth played, especially for Zoe, being a Manx person. It would make her especially unique and at the same time raise the profile (in a positive way) for the Island. I'm delighted for Zoe and really hope she wins gold and goes on to more fantastic things.

Don't be so quick to make assumptions! Just for the record, I could never bring myself to sing God Save the Queen, but that's a personal choice.

I agree. I didn't mean to go off-topic but the Olympics are a very nationalistic event and therefore it's important that athletes are treated accordingly. It should be her choice - if she wants to run under the Union flag and have the UK anthem played then fine but if she would prefer her own flag and anthem then why shouldn't she be allowed this?

I also couldn't sing God Save the Queen unless I replaced 'save' with something else. :) At least the Manx anthem celebrates the beauty of the island and its people (rather than a dictator-cum-monarch) even if it does have to bring God into it.

Good luck Zoë! Do Mannin proud!

Archived