Road Closure

Minxie

Also heard on MR today that there are objections to a development in Farmhill, partly because of concerns that the additional traffic will add to traffic problems there. What?! There are no traffic problems in Farmhill.

Just because there aren't traffic problems doesn't mean they have to create them to stop Farmhillians feeling deprived :o:lol:. Let's just clog the whole place up solid to make everyone use the bus :lol:

With a proposed extra 30+ houses, there will be another 70+ cars using narrow estate roads, they were never made for through routes or they would have been wider. One of the access routes into the plot is hardly wide enough for two cars to pass.

With the age of the families of the residents who moved in when the estate was started now in their late teens, the number of additional vehicles is evident (many houses have up to 4 cars and vans outside) with many now parking on both sides of the roads or on pavements (making pedestrians walk on the road), it's down to single track road with passing places and HGV's have difficulty negotiating the roads. Heaven forbid we ever need a fire engine !.

They have just finished a huge expansion to the nearby school, they will have to put the temp classrooms back in a the playing field in a couple of years if this goes ahead.

The other reasons for refusal of previous similar applications are still valid.

But that does not change the fact that there is not a traffic problem in Farmhill, and I seriously doubt that the development would cause any major issues. Now, there may be other reasons for the development not to proceed, but I think pulling out the traffic card in Farmhill is just not a credible argument. Most of the houses have their own drive and there are not many places there where the roads are so congested as to be single track roads. In fact, around my way, there are very few cars parked on the road.

I know exactly where the development is proposed and, you are right, access is going to be a problem, but that is not the same as traffic congestion! As I say, there may be other valid reasons for not granting planning permission, but putting forward the traffic argument weakens what may, otherwise, be a very good case.

But that does not change the fact that there is not a traffic problem in Farmhill

ok, so let's make one that we can't change later :P

Most of the houses have their own drive and there are not many places there where the roads are so congested as to be single track roads. In fact, around my way, there are very few cars parked on the road.

most park on the pavement ? :P

I know exactly where the development is proposed and, you are right, access is going to be a problem

so why do it ?, it's a boggy swamp anyway !

'ching !' I hear a penny drop :P

Thanks TF, but my arguments are not for or against the development, merely that the proposition that there is a traffic problem in Farmhill which will be aggravated by this development is erroneous.

Let me take your responses one by one:

Traffic problem now or after the development? - Compared with much of Douglas, Farmhill is not congested, nor is it difficult to negotiate the traffic during peak periods. There isn't a problem in the first place to be made worse by the development.

Parking? - Most houses have a drive so cars are parked on the drive. If you want to extend in the traditional Farmhill style, a condition of planning permission is that the drive is made wide enough to accommodate two cars side by side.

Why do it? - My point was that the access will be a problem, not whether the proposal was viable. Not my call!

No penny to be dropped, I'm afraid!

Am I for, or against, the development?

Tricky one, because at the moment that area is used by teenagers to load up on WKD and Breezers, leaving the bottles smashed and littered about the place. Hardly safe for children who may play there (mine don't for that very reason) and the wildlife.

I would rather see areas like this within the existing built-up areas developed than the continued encroachment into the countryside, which is plainly the plan if you look at the impressive entrances to nowhere which have been constructed along the western side of Vicarage Road.

Having said all that, less than 20 years' ago, Farmhill was exactly that; farmland! It does strike me as a little Nimby-ish to object to a small pocket of land, which provides little or no amenity, being developed.

Right, Summerland is completely fenced off now - road is closed and all traffic has to go via Summerhill/Port Jack - fair enough.

There's even a sign on the bottom of Summerhill to remind any motorists of this:

post-1086-1137837897_thumb.jpg

But I wonder why it was thought to be necessary to put two more of these on the road up Summerhill:

post-1086-1137837988_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1137838017_thumb.jpg

It's a narrow road at the best of times, and it will probably be a bit more busy now - so why exactly do we need two more signs on this road, making it even smaller, only to remind any folk crawling up there to go straight on?

Does anyone think I'll get lost or accidentally mistake the entrance to the Glen for the new road to Laxey?

just wondering, but if you drive up there, then you'll know what i mean...

Yesterday morning there were no less than FOUR of those signs on lower Summerhill Amadeus, at least they've halved that!

Stupid stupid stupid. Everyone was waiting behind them for oncoming traffic, so it did slow traffic down, will be a right laugh during the rush hour.

Traffic problem now or after the development? - Compared with much of Douglas, Farmhill is not congested, nor is it difficult to negotiate the traffic during peak periods. There isn't a problem in the first place to be made worse by the development.

Parking? - Most houses have a drive so cars are parked on the drive. If you want to extend in the traditional Farmhill style, a condition of planning permission is that the drive is made wide enough to accommodate two cars side by side.

As that is the case, GTBB, can you explain why so many cars are parked overnight in the turning circles - making it virtually impossible to turn a vehicle around unless you make use of one the many unoccupied driveways?

Alex Posted Today, 10:30 AM

Yesterday morning there were no less than FOUR of those signs on lower Summerhill Amadeus, at least they've halved that!

Stupid stupid stupid. Everyone was waiting behind them for oncoming traffic, so it did slow traffic down, will be a right laugh during the rush hour.

Couldn't agree more. It only needs one inexperienced driver who's uncertain about the actual width of their vehicle and someone's going to have a nasty bump. The signs create an unnecessary hazard.

Right, Summerhill is completely fenced off now - road is closed and all traffic has to go via Summerhill/Port Jack - fair enough.

Does anyone think I'll get lost or accidentally mistake the entrance to the Glen for the new road to Laxey?

just wondering, but if you drive up there, then you'll know what i mean...

They must have got a new 'Expert' on the job, no doubt imported from the adjacent Island at great expense, 'cos that's how they do it elsewhere, you have to realise that people may be strangers to the area and not know the roads and get lost :lol:

crazy :o

Well most of these signs are being hit by vehicles now so I doubt they'll last long... Maybe some of Onchans local vandals could attend to them and speed the whole process up. Do they float in the sea?

Archived