Www.freechantal.com

studmuffin

Not sure if you have heard of this case, some will care others wont.

Chantal (from UK) was in America and set up a company with her husband, long story short, they tried to sell stuff and used actors as "pretend" customers to dupe the public.

Totally wrong I agree, so how was she punished, 3 months jail? $5000 fine? Nah she got locked up for 24 years

I read about her while reading womans own or summit while at the doctors. It played on my mind and I eventually sent an email to her via the above website. I received a reply from her via her friend about three weeks later and she was a lovely person

Have a look at the website, its a fucking joke, a top lawyer said that in the UK she`d have probably got a suspended sentance, but in the USA she get 24 years which has just been reduced to 20 years on appeal.

As i say, most will not care but I thought it was a tad harsh !

Not sure if you have heard of this case, some will care others wont.

Chantal (from UK) was in America and set up a company with her husband, long story short, they tried to sell stuff and used actors as "pretend" customers to dupe the public.

Totally wrong I agree, so how was she punished, 3 months jail? $5000 fine? Nah she got locked up for 24 years

I read about her while reading womans own or summit while at the doctors. It played on my mind and I eventually sent an email to her via the above website. I received a reply from her via her friend about three weeks later and she was a lovely person

Have a look at the website, its a fucking joke, a top lawyer said that in the UK she`d have probably got a suspended sentance, but in the USA she get 24 years which has just been reduced to 20 years on appeal.

As i say, most will not care but I thought it was a tad harsh !

I'm sure some people will say that you must abide by the rules of the country you're in or face their punishments but 24 years is ridiculous! As Girl89 said most rapists and murderers serve less time in jail. This crime didn't involve violence, guns or anything else which usually means a long sentence.

Oh and if that's a crime then most US countries should also be guilty. They're never real people in those commercials or infomercials.

Of all the sites i've looked at regarding this they all have a definite bias in her favour. None seem to be just reporting facts. All have jumped on the 'if this was a child rape or murder' bandwagon.

Me, i couldnt care less about the girl, She commited a serious crime and paid the price. I wish our sentencing policies were more like that, perhaps we wouldnt accept minor dishonestly so easily here.

As for :-

It played on my mind and I eventually sent an email to her via the above website. I received a reply from her via her friend about three weeks later and she was a lovely person

What utter utter rubbish. How the hell can you decide someone is lovely through an email ? How can you be sure SHE sent it ? Oh, yes she's lovely alright, just dishonest to the core. seems to me shes had you over just like the people she stole from.

Of all the sites i've looked at regarding this they all have a definite bias in her favour. None seem to be just reporting facts. All have jumped on the 'if this was a child rape or murder' bandwagon.

Me, i couldnt care less about the girl, She commited a serious crime and paid the price. I wish our sentencing policies were more like that, perhaps we wouldnt accept minor dishonestly so easily here.

As for :-

It played on my mind and I eventually sent an email to her via the above website. I received a reply from her via her friend about three weeks later and she was a lovely person

What utter utter rubbish. How the hell can you decide someone is lovely through an email ? How can you be sure SHE sent it ? Oh, yes she's lovely alright, just dishonest to the core. seems to me shes had you over just like the people she stole from.

Well I dont like you and thats guaged from pretty much an email. All im saying is I thought the sentance a tad harsh,

Gotta say I agree with the first half of James Anderton's post. I read some of the stuff on the website and they do a great job of glossing over her crime.

"Chantal and her husband William were convicted on fraud and money laundering charges stemming from William’s infomercial and real estate seminar business. This was a victimless crime."

I suspect that if you speak to the people who were defrauded then you'll find there were in fact victims.

"First and foremost, Chantal never knowingly or willingly engaged in any criminal activity."

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

I couldn't find any details of her partners sentence or details of his incarceration anywhere on the website. Surely if she is innocent then he is too and they should be campaigning for his release also? In fact reading it all I could gleam from it was that he was guilty and she had nothing really to do with it. Hmmmm.

Having said that, the sentence is excessive - but the court found her guilty and was directed by what guidelines it had. I think 6 years is probably long enough now. Perhaps if they were a bit more factual on the website and a little less heart on sleeve about it then they might get more support.

Aside from that, one of the testimonies on the site made my stomach churn...

http://www.freechantal.com/speakoutdocs/20041021gomez.htm

Archived