Do As We Say

TheTool

This has to be an insult to the isle of man voter, what i want to know is why they want to change this Link

Its up to the manx people not the power mad and power hungry MHK's if they want to change over 185 years of history.

David canna has got it right this time, what really gets to me is that they bang on about history and they turn around and throw it out of the window haha what a bunch of monkeys :blink:

This has to be an insult to the isle of man voter, what i want to know is why they want to change this Link

Its up to the manx people not the power mad and power hungry MHK's if they want to change over 185 years of history.

David canna has got it right this time, what really gets to me is that they bang on about history and they turn around and throw it out of the window haha what a bunch of monkeys :blink:

Can we have an online poll on this?

I believe the title should stay as it is now and if Tynwald won't change ther mind perhaps the people can change Tynwald.

One former Governor told me that a Crown Commissioner in the past was more powerful than a Lt. Governor. If this is still the case it is another reason why those who do not like outside interference in our internal affairs should want the present title to remain?

its just pussyfooting around,get rid of the governer or keep him,but wasting money changin his name is just silly.how much will it cost us to change all the laws about him and headed paper and all that? hes only a figurehead these days n e way.

its just pussyfooting around,get rid of the governer or keep him,but wasting money changin his name is just silly.how much will it cost us to change all the laws about him and headed paper and all that? hes only a figurehead these days n e way.

It's time to scrap the Governor/Barrantagh y Chrooin and aim for full independence. Of course given the current state of Tynwald it's not easily achievable but with a reformed government and a fully elected COM this would be possible. We don't need any representative from the UK Government.

I'm surprised that Lord Fwhatever of the UK Govt Dept for Consitutional affairs doesn't just assume the responsibility in lieu of the UK paying for someone to have to move over to the IOM and back again every 5years and in the meantime sit round twiddling their thumbs and making out they have some power and position of authority over the local populace when everyone here knows they are just bidding their time until retirement cos they are past it in their previous job and the IOM posting is a cushy number on the path to collecting a nice fat pension from the UK taxpayers...suckers...

I don't really care what the name of the Governor is. Don't like either title to be honest.

I certainly don't want a referendum on it. Referendums should be reserved for major constitutional changes not cosmetic name changes. In fact, I thought I voted for MHK's so that I didn't have to decide on trivial issues like this.

"it makes it sound like we're an Island in the Caribbean in the 17th Century with pirates and other scallywags roaming around"

which is precisely why its thought it gives the wrong image....we need people off Island to see and believe we have moved on and matured into a jurisdiction that doesn't need to be governed or supervised by an overseer from a jurisdiction that historically has developed from a culture of being imperial, colonial and subjecting....

According to Wikipedia the Barrantagh y Chrooin or Crown Commissioner title is being introduced to reflect the new role the Governor plays in running the island. With the island making strides to be different from the UK including making bilateral agreements with other nations (including the USA, Netherlands, Dubai and others) there's little governing involved.

Archived