Who Wants A Speed Limit Of 70mph On The Mountain Road?

manxchatterbox

I don't want one either, along with the vast majority of the population. Why do these tossers insist on ignoring the will of the majority?

I'm setting up a petition against the limit, might not do any good, but will hopefully be in shops near you soon.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A population of 120.000 would mean cheaper services including flights and ferries because of an increased market. It could also help address the decline in most areas outside of Douglas and Onchan and encourage more younger people to stay on the island. It would greatly help local businesses by proving a bigger market and a bigger profile for the island internationally. The island is not tiny unlike Jersey, Cayman or many other jurisdictions and a population of 120.000 would still maintain the beautiful countryside, coast and glens.

Pardon my ignorance, where are these areas of decline in Douglas and Onchan, I'm not aware of any particular areas that meet that description.

I said outside of Douglas and Onchan. Sure other towns may have growing populations but local businesses are closing or moving to the capital.

Someone here has said that most accidents happen at low speeds. Whilst this may be true most fatal accidents happen at high speed.

Phil Braidwood needs to be shot with shit and hung for stinking.

After the last time he should have the message now its only been 18 months since the last bloody debate.

We all know speed kills but as most people know and look in the UK these speed limits are from the 1950's when cars and bikes needed 2 miles to slow down.

What is needed is the police to be looking for problem drivers in a plain car.

We need a system where if you get convicted of a dangerous or reckless driving charge you get banned for 3 years, it is as bad as drink driving in my eyes.

Catch the bad drivers and you will leave to roads safe its the rouge element as usual that fuck it up for us all.

Oh and the last time this was thought up 70% were against a 70mph limit. PHIL CAN YOU READ :o

70 - on the mountain? Not me - 60 is fine everywhere - Monday to Saturday 7:30am to 9:30am and 3:30pm to 5:30pm - also 60 top speed over the top when the moutain sign is on for fog, wind, rain, ice, snow etc etc. 15 in housing estates (That makes Peel a 15mph Zone all round then!).

Couple that with a flat rate target sorry! Maximum speed of 30 everywhere else in the same time limits should help some.

Leave us with a 'No Limit' all the other times and I'd be happy - I leave my 120+mph dash over the top till early Sundays anyway.

If we get a limit .. what do we call Mad Sunday? how about 'Slightly less mad, but some nutter is still going to pass you flat out anyway Sunday' or - 'Nanny State Sunday'?

I have a deep suspicion about intenet polls and the results they display. The results of one such poll were even quoted in Tynwald in this very subject. Although I suppose that is a reflection on the numptiness of the politician.

I don't know when nolimit.org.im was set up and went live but I would guess it was in the past 24 hours.

There have been an awful lot of visits. Maybe the poll results will reflect this.

post-1345-1137599290_thumb.jpg

You can't make big decisions based on what you think will get you more votes next election, there are already too many MHKS like that already who make tactical decisions rather than 'biting the bullet'.

Actually that is exactly what a politican should do.

Politicians are there to carry out the wishes of the electorate - not for their own personal agendas.

If an MHK thinks "If I do this I won't be elected back in" then he should not do it. The voters do not want it. That is the job of an MHK.

Being an MHK is not a test of strength, willpower or character - it is being prepared to do what the electorate want you to do.

If the majority don't want speed limits then we do not have speed limits.

One statistic I would like to see is how many deaths could have been prevented by existing legislation.

How many drivers involved in accidents didn't have licences ? That is not a case of speed kills, thats an example of existing legislation failing to be applied.

How many people involved in accidents were over the drink driving limits? That is not a case of speed kills, thats an example of existing legislation failing to be applied.

How many people involved in accidents weren't wearing seatbelts ? That is not a case of speed kills, thats an example of existing legislation failing to be applied.

How many fatalities occurred in existing limits where speed was a factor ? That is not a case of speed kills, thats an example of existing legislation failing to be applied.

Etc etc.

Examine the figures, come to your own conclusions and decide for yourselves. If existing legislation isn't saving lives then how will more legislation save lives ?

Nipper,

The site has been live for nearly two years now hence the hits. I presented over 3100 legitimate names, email addresses and postcodes to the DOT when they last tried to implement an all Island speed limit.

Apologies

Although the wording of the site eg "...election in November" made me think the site itself was quite recent, not just the content.

Best of luck with it.

If an MHK thinks "If I do this I won't be elected back in" then he should not do it. The voters do not want it. That is the job of an MHK.

Being an MHK is not a test of strength, willpower or character - it is being prepared to do what the electorate want you to do.

I disagree. I think that politicians should think for themselves and make their own choices. Rather than tuning their responses in order to represent populist opinion. It's for the electorate to decide whether or not to vote for them.

And it is a test of character. A politician has to be prepared to be unpopular - to propose unpopular choices. They should act according to their own opinions and beliefs. Sometimes the right thing is unpopular.

EDIT: so I always distrust visiting candidates who ask me what I think. It's for them to stand and act according to what they think.

If you're for or against the speed limit surely it's good that a politician is speaking out with his viewpoint BEFORE the election. At least if he gets in and makes the bill we won't be suprised. Surely it'd be worse for a politician to say he's against the speed limit and later vote for it?

I also signed your petition :) :) :)

(How about a petition for those who want a national speed limit?)

I disagree. I think that politicians should think for themselves and make their own choices. Rather than tuning their responses in order to represent populist opinion. It's for the electorate to decide whether or not to vote for them.

And it is a test of character. A politician has to be prepared to be unpopular - to propose unpopular choices. They should act according to their own opinions and beliefs. Sometimes the right thing is unpopular.

EDIT: so I always distrust visiting candidates who ask me what I think. It's for them to stand and act according to what they think.

That's interesting to me from England. How different is the Manx political system from the UK? Here, we elect a representative Member of Parliament who's job it is to represent the population of the region he represents. Is this different in IOM?

That's interesting to me from England. How different is the Manx political system from the UK? Here, we elect a representative Member of Parliament who's job it is to represent the population of the region he represents.

dont kid yourself.

Is this different in IOM?

No it works the same as anywhere else. We elect them and they then do whatever they like for the next 4 or 5 years. Slight correction, in England they do whatever the party whip wants them to do for the next 4 or 5 years. Here they make their own minds up.

For the record I dont want to see a speed limit but I would like to see some of the Snaefell boy racers hauled over and held to account for their dangerous driving.

Archived