Who Wants A Speed Limit Of 70mph On The Mountain Road?

manxchatterbox

Agreed. I stick to the limits where there are any and always find myself being tailgated, or even overtaken if I'm on the bike.

My respect for speed limits will change if they are everywhere though, it's a disputed fact that people only heed limits they agree with, an all-Island limit will just see more people losing any respect they once had for limits.

Look at the UK - when did anyone ever heed their limits? The slow lane of a motorway is the only one that is anywhere near the limit, the two faster lanes are way over it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is everyone that bemoans the fact that so many people disregard speed limits in full agreement that there should be more enforcement methods? Ie speed cameras.

I do. I think speed cameras are an excellent idea as long as they are placed properly to slow people down. Places like housing estates (20 Zones), outside schools etc. Not to be used as revenue generators but as deterrents to speeders.

Although, I visited the UK last year in the car, took the kids to Blackpool but driving across the Promenade was horrendous as I seemed to spend more time checking the speedo to make sure I was within the limit than observing pedestrians and other potential hazards.

Is everyone that bemoans the fact that so many people disregard speed limits in full agreement that there should be more enforcement methods? Ie speed cameras.

I would agree that there should be more enforcement methods but I would say that I would prefer to spend the money on something that catches more offences than just speeding.

More traffic police !

Well thought out reply there. Did that really take you 24 hours to think up?

Thank you. No it took me 24 hours to find your reply.

I agree with JURBY AND BEYOND - cars are not play things. The island is only 50km long so nothing is ever more than 60-90 minutes away so why bother risking other motorists and pedestrians lives?

Good point our kid.

So if the Island was say, 500km or so long it would indeed be justified to 'do a ton' everywhere?

Maybe.

I agree with JURBY AND BEYOND - cars are not play things. The island is only 50km long so nothing is ever more than 60-90 minutes away so why bother risking other motorists and pedestrians lives?

So you agree with a 1st post Troll? Good for you.

Motorists and pedestrians are at far greater risk by the idiots who speed in our existing limited areas which are not enforced. There is no point making more limits.

A quote from the Transport Minister :-

'Introducing a maximum speed limit must assist in reducing these unacceptable figures.'

He doesnt even know himself it is going to help judging by that statement.

I agree with Jurby and beHond - cars are not play things. The island is only 50km long so nothing is ever more than 60-90 minutes away so why bother risking other motorists and pedestrians lives?

And there was me thinking I was the only one of me on this board. Welcome Jurby and Beyond. We must be related ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_sock_puppet/

The only thing i agree with is there should be a 60mph limit on all other unrestricted roads, But only because some of the roads are to narrow, and they aren't kept up to the best conditions like the mountain is.

Restrict the Cronk-y-voddey straight to 60mph? St Johns to Peel road 60mph? Coast road from Peel to Kirk Michael 60mph? That would cause more accidents than happen already.

Nick - I think your opinion is rather dangerous.

Damn you are one astute poster ! Well said.

Its also the case that members of any parliament have to weigh up the views of minorities as well as any

international obligations that may exist

The obvious example is legislation affecting homosexuals.

I dont know what criteria the politicians will use to evaluate the question of an all island speed limit but Ill bet the views of the majority arent top of the list.

Archived