30.000 Addicts

TheTool

Well this is a story i forgot to post did anybody see in the local rag a few weeks ago that the isle of man has 30.000 people who either are have drink or drug problems this includes family members caught up in the problem.

This is insane no sorry this is island life yussir.

Has anyone found any links on this subject i am going to have a search.

Seen it in the paper - can't recall all the details, and how exactly these figures were compiled, though...

Even without the article, it's hardly a secret that drink and drugs are a problem over here.

It's time, we at least start on changing the drinking culture and habits - long road, but worth it, and everyone can do a bit towards it...

Well this is a story i forgot to post did anybody see in the local rag a few weeks ago that the isle of man has 30.000 people who either are have drink or drug problems this includes family members caught up in the problem.

This is insane no sorry this is island life yussir.

Has anyone found any links on this subject i am going to have a search.

First I've heard about that but 30,000 from a population of 80,000 seems a little too large. However, the level of drunkeness on the island is enormous - just walk through Douglas or Onchan any night of the week. Amadeus is correct in saying we need to address drinking attitudes. Bars should be made to provide safe environments without excess drinking and violence. Bars should be made to ensure they have enough seats for every member of the bar to prevent people from turning violent. Adverts for drinks shouldn't promote excess drinking. Equally to solve the drug problem we need to seriously think about legalizing drugs to combat this problem in an open and legal way.

Quite a few definitions on the web...

One whose continued or excessive drinking results in impairment of personal health, disruption of family and social relationships, and loss of economic security.

Alcoholism is a dependency on alcohol characterized by craving (a strong need to drink), loss of control (being unable to stop drinking despite a desire to do so), physical dependence and withdrawal symptoms, and tolerance (increasing difficulty of becoming drunk).

[

Bars should be made to provide safe environments without excess drinking and violence. Bars should be made to ensure they have enough seats for every member of the bar to prevent people from turning violent. Adverts for drinks shouldn't promote excess drinking. Equally to solve the drug problem we need to seriously think about legalizing drugs to combat this problem in an open and legal way.

All above very commendable - add to that list - people should take responsibility for themselves!

It has been known for the island to be referred to as 80,000 alcoholics clinging to a rock! :blink:

Genuine 'alcoholics' are usually only a nuisance to themselves and their loved ones.

The problem lies with those yobs who enjoy getting drunk because they believe it relieves them of any responsibility for their actions.

They must be classing anyone who uses drugs as having a "problem", same with anyone who drinks over a certain amount per week.

First I've heard about that but 30,000 from a population of 80,000 seems a little too large. However, the level of drunkeness on the island is enormous - just walk through Douglas or Onchan any night of the week.
Rubbish. There's a few hours in the early hours at weekends when you see drunk people, same as anywhere else that's all.

30,000!! Someone must have sucked this one out of their thumb!

Probably find this figure was produced by someone who works in the problem domain.

Its very much in their interest to produce figures which suggest they are involved in work of

incredible importance !!

So whats 30,000, about 40% of the population including children and aged, with recordable drink or drugs problems, Hmmm seem like someone was pissed when they fannied those statistics.

My father was an alcoholic - it killed him off at 52, so based on the statistics this affects both myself and mother.

Archived