Speed Limit On The Mountain Road

cheesemonster2005

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I voted NO and i am sick of this fucking nanny state.

Don't forget we have the coast road aswell as the douglas to peel road for slow driving.

You do have a choice you know.

There's an idea Toolman - reserve the Mountain road for those who wanna play god with their lives and the other roads can be used the everyone else.

I voted NO and i am sick of this fucking nanny state.

Don't forget we have the coast road aswell as the douglas to peel road for slow driving.

You do have a choice you know.

I don't agree with the "catagorisation" of our islands roads but how far are we going to let people decide how we live our lives?

Haha well i remember when you could open it up on the mountain i did 140mph up the mile once no probs now its stop start all the way.

Next you will be in favour of ID cards and being micro chipped haha getting like 1940's germany (no offence Amadeus).

If you are a good driver you should never have a problem, its the other fools that cause the deaths.

And they always seem to live after the accident :angry:

Should there be a speed limit on the Mountain Road?

YES - 50mph minimum. If you can't mantain that speed then you shouldn't be there

YES - 50MPH (80KPH)

YES - 60MPH (97KPH)

YES - 70MPH (110KPH)

NO - let motorists kill one another like always

Fixed your poll for you.

There is a difference between a ‘nanny state’ and sane and reasonable society.

Freedom comes at a cost. If a person wants to drive on roads that would in many parts of the UK and Europe be subject to a 40 MPH restriction, at a speed of his – or her – choice then the implications of something going wrong are NOT just down to them.

If there is an incident, and even if there is no one else involved there are costs and in the event of an injury the costs can be massive.

Once another person is involved then the costs can be staggering and many of these costs have to be bourn by the rest of the people who pay for such as the NHS as well as providing social security payments and services and support, often for many years to the injured parties.

The question then is what opportunities to create costs to the rest of society should be permitted to an individual, as absolute freedom is plainly not an option unless unlimited opportunities to create costs are acceptable.

Maybe those who are so intent on no speed limit might think twice if THEY ALONE had to bear all of the costs of an incident that occurred as a result of them indulging in their ‘freedom’ to drive at any speed that they wanted to.

I'd be interested to know what speeds those involved in fatal accidents were doing - it probably wasn't more than 70mph. But then I don't have the facts - this is mere speculation on my part.

Do those who want a speed limit have the facts, or are they speculating like me?

If they made a speed limit of 70 making a lower limit of 50 in some places (meaning you must drive at 50) stopped overtaking in the most dangerous parts (like before corners, it appears as though some drivers think it is OK to OT b4 a corner) and put some lights on the road, I am sure the death toll would be lowered.

Or even make the Coast road one way to DGLS and the mountain the other way - that would be most funny, but it would save lives.

The issue Rog I think is that whether a speed limit will make the roads safer. My suggestion is that inappropriate speed limits can be argued to have made England's roads less safe. To substantially improve road safety, I believe that we need to substantially increase the abilities of drivers & other road users. A compulsory IAM Advance Driving Test & regular refreshers would be a good start. A good driver will drive to the conditions of the road & plan road position & speed based on constant scans of the road & hazards.

More information: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/

The islands roads are a way of getting from A to B it’s as simple as that, I personally am against any speed limit over the mountain, but that does not mean that I will drive at 100mph just because I am aloud, you drive at a safe speed taking in all the variable conditions.

Accidents are usually because someone is “getting all excited” about pushing there car near the limit on a public road, and when they get it wrong someone else pays the price. There is no excuse.

If you want to drive your car to the limit try a form of motorsport then if it does go wrong the safety nets are in place to avoid a tragedy.

Archived