Speed Limit On The Mountain Road

cheesemonster2005

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And "getting all excited" or pushing your car to the limit already falls under dangerous driving, which is already illegal.

70 mph on the mountain - I'd hate to see that as a limit as it would mean everybody would drive at that speed or above - as with all limits, they tend to act as a guideline for appropriate speed rather than a maximum speed.

Thebees - if we banned cars altogether or enforced a 20mph speed limit everywhere that would cut down on deaths too, "It might save lives" is not good enough to enforce legislation onto the public and making criminals out of people who are simple doing what their car (often the only bit of luxury and enjoyment some people have) is designed to do.

Like others, I'd like to see a proper breakdown of accidents before anything - I can think of at least 2 very recent fatalities that no speed limit would have saved.

As for arguments about comparison roads elsewhere - we are not elsewhere. We have our own government and can make our own laws. Blindly following everything those tossers over the water do is not what it's all about.

If yopu can't handle quick driving you should get off the road and leave it to those who can drive properly.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
70 mph on the mountain - I'd hate to see that as a limit as it would mean everybody would drive at that speed or above - as with all limits, they tend to act as a guideline for appropriate speed rather than a maximum speed.

Please don't assume that everyone else treats speed limits with the same disregard that you claim to.

In a country where we have no maximum speed limits, and even the cheapest car can do well over 70mph, then yes, I DO associate being able to handle your car whether going fast or slow with being a good driver and being able to drive properly.

Other people who aren't so capable often judge others by their own miserable driving standards and come to the conclusion that speed = danger. They support speed limits for everyone based on their own inability to drive at speed safely.

I DO associate being able to handle your car whether going fast or slow with being a good driver and being able to drive properly.

Thats not what you said...you said that if people couldnt handle quick driving they should get off the roads. Hardly a great advertisment for your viewpoint.

What should be addressed is the overall level of driving standards not whether or not you can drive a car quickly. A reduction of the number of cars on the road would help.

I'm not trying to "advertise my viewpoint" - merely get it across.

However, in general, I don't think there is a problem on the roads.

As a driver and biker with only one minor crash in 12 years I'm constantly amazed at how good the standard of driving is when compared to the general standard of people as people when they're not driving!

Other people who aren't so capable often judge others by their own miserable driving standards and come to the conclusion that speed = danger. They support speed limits for everyone based on their own inability to drive at speed safely.

Why is it so difficult for you to accept that some people just want a speed limit? I'm a full supporter of one and I'd like to think that I'm a competant enough driver to be able to handle faster speeds than a speed limit would allow. I've driven at high speed more often than I should, both over here and in the UK, and I'll admit that, like a lot of people, I've broken speed limits to excess.

Not everyone who supports a speed limit is a bad driver, it's staggering that you automatically assume that and I can only put it down to arrogance.

What the government needs to do is fit a speed monitor to see what speed people do on the mountain.

Just get a speed camera rigged up on the fast bits and set it to take speeds over 70mph that way you will be able to see how many people really do go over 70mph.

The reality is that most of us who do drive over the mountain stick to 50mph to 60mph.

There is a difference between a ‘nanny state’ and sane and reasonable society.

Freedom comes at a cost. If a person wants to drive on roads that would in many parts of the UK and Europe be subject to a 40 MPH restriction, at a speed of his – or her – choice then the implications of something going wrong are NOT just down to them.

I'd hardly imagine any roads that are currently derestricted on the IOM would be a 40 - the Mountain Road, if in the UK, would be a 60 limit as a single-carriageway un-divided highway without road lighting.

There is a difference between a ‘nanny state’ and sane and reasonable society.

Freedom comes at a cost. If a person wants to drive on roads that would in many parts of the UK and Europe be subject to a 40 MPH restriction, at a speed of his – or her – choice then the implications of something going wrong are NOT just down to them.

I'd hardly imagine any roads that are currently derestricted on the IOM would be a 40 - the Mountain Road, if in the UK, would be a 60 limit as a single-carriageway un-divided highway without road lighting.

The salient point is that it is unlikely that such a road WOULD BE derestricted without at the very least considerable improvements being made. For that matter I can think of few if any roads on the island that would be derestricted and in any case derestricted single carriageway roads amount to a 60 MPH max.

Archived