Gp Appointments

Gladys

This may be better in General Chat, but.....

My GP's surgery has this new policy of giving appointments only on the day (part of the massaging of waiting lists, I guess). So you have to 'phone up at 8.30 in the morning to get an appointment that day! At 8.30 I am normally on the road, doing the parachute drops to schools and on to work, to hopefully get there on time at 9.00, but to get an appointment with my GP I have got to start the telephone lottery of calling (if you can get through) to get an appointment which I have not forwarned my employer about!

Nothing was said about what would happen if I failed to get through at 8.30, but left it until, say, 9.00. Nor was there any accommodation when I said that there was no urgency, I just needed to know in advance when I could get an appointment! I was so irate, that I 'phoned the DHSS GP services department to be told "Oh yes, they have had this system in for some time and it seems to be working for them!" "Well it may be, but not for the f***** patient", was my unwitty retort!

I know this is a ruse in the UK to manipulate waiting lists for appointments to see your GP, but it serves no useful purpose for the patient! I rarely visit the Doc and tend to leave a number of minor grumbles until I have a fair selection to warrant a trip to the GP.

What's wrong with having a non-urgent appointments system coupled with a fast-track system. Surely, it can't be beyond the wit of man to come up with something that will deal with both? After all, if your appointment is really urgent you will be able to make it at any time, whereas if it is not urgent, advance certainty is more important than immediate attention?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Switch doctors! We all go to Kensington Health Group and I have never had any problems getting an appointment, often they have appointments for the same day when I phone at 10am. That said, we are fortunately healthy and rarely go to the doctors so I could just be lucky.

Switch doctors! We all go to Kensington Health Group and I have never had any problems getting an appointment, often they have appointments for the same day when I phone at 10am. That said, we are fortunately healthy and rarely go to the doctors so I could just be lucky.

Ive heard of people having to wait 2 weeks to see a gp there, so you must be very lucky!

My GP surgery (Hailwood) is excellent. I've NEVER had any problem getting an appointment at short notice or at any other time, no matter what time of the day I've rung for one. I've always found the receptionists helpful and have had no problems in obtaining repeat prescriptions if needed. On the other hand, I work for the DHSS and I know for a fact that there are a hell of a lot of people who fail to turn up for appointments at the hospital, thus wasting everyone's time. I wonder if this is also contributing to problems at GP surgeries also.

Perhaps I am being cynical, but I think its a ploy to avoid complaints about waiting lists to see your GP; the earliest appointment available being, say, two weeks away.

That is wiped out in a single stroke if you only accept appointments on the same day; no one ever has to wait for more than a few hours, but what it doesn't do is register those people who couldn't get an appointment on the same day because all the appointments were gone, nor does it register the inconvenience factor of not being able to book a non-urgent appointment a few days' in advance!

Ive heard of people having to wait 2 weeks to see a gp there, so you must be very lucky!

If you are talking about the Kensington Group practice that moved from Kensington Rd to the old Nobles site, you are quite right, but that only applies to one of the six GP's (1 of the doctors is very hard to get in to see; he seems to be very popular.)

I dont know anything about the Finch hill practice who seem to have moved into the premises in Kensington Rd which were vacated by the above.

Some of the problems which have been mentioned in this thread need sorting out. The DHSS should not only consult with the doctors but also with the public. I suggest a letter to the Minister and to the Chief Exec of the DHSS explaining the concerns and asking them to set up a round table discussion with doctors and patients to work out a solution which safeguards the needs of the patient.

No doubt patient cancellations, private medicine, too many patients etc contribute to some of the difficulties. Moreover are all appointments strictly necessary. Can your pharmacist deal with some of the minor matters relieving the pressure on the GP's?

There is also a body called the NHS Consultative Council which should assist with these matters.

I am very unhappy with some of the messages which I have read as on the face of itI believe they show there is potential

risk to patient welfare. The doctors who I believe are very professional need to explain if this is not so to re-establish patient confidence.

Yes, Charles, another point occurs to me and that is that the system at my GP's surgery is neither fish nor fowl. In the old days, GPs had surgery hours and you just turned up and waited your turn during the surgery time; a bit like the delicatessan counter. Obvious inefficiencies there! They then replaced that with the appointments system which ended up with people waiting a couple of weeks for an appointment.

Now, what seems to have been re-introduced under the appointments scheme is the old turn up and wait system! Only this time, the turn up and wait is on the 'phone at 8.30 in the morning!

It is easier to get a convenient appointment with the vet than it is with the doctor!

Edited to add: But the vet is private!

Maybe GPs are overwhelmed by the sheer volume of folks seeking appointments ?

I rarely go to my GP. Last time was about 4 years back but I know more than a few folk, women of a certain age especially, who openly chat about GP visits as a social occasion rather than a last resort visit.

Could this be the reason ?

By the way I agree with Charles, see your chemist for a dose of jallop rather than the doctor if it aint life threatening. Hes probably the best man to advise if a doctor's appointment might be the best bet as well.

(Sorry Charles I dont want to swamp you down with unnecessary visitors either!)

Yes, Charles, another point occurs to me and that is that the system at my GP's surgery is neither fish nor fowl. In the old days, GPs had surgery hours and you just turned up and waited your turn during the surgery time; a bit like the delicatessan counter. Obvious inefficiencies there! They then replaced that with the appointments system which ended up with people waiting a couple of weeks for an appointment.

Now, what seems to have been re-introduced under the appointments scheme is the old turn up and wait system! Only this time, the turn up and wait is on the 'phone at 8.30 in the morning!

It is easier to get a convenient appointment with the vet than it is with the doctor!

Edited to add: But the vet is private!

To cut matters short why not a group of patients make arrangements to see the GP's to satisfy yourselves that in an emergency you will be attended to. If they say they are not able to do this, go to the DHSS and demand a meeting. It may be they do have a reasonable explanation but it is their job to satisfy you and all their other patients with an explanation. If they are able to do this they will have less patient stress for starters.

Maybe GPs are overwhelmed by the sheer volume of folks seeking appointments ?

I rarely go to my GP. Last time was about 4 years back but I know more than a few folk, women of a certain age especially, who openly chat about GP visits as a social occasion rather than a last resort visit.

Could this be the reason ?

By the way I agree with Charles, see your chemist for a dose of jallop rather than the doctor if it aint life threatening. Hes probably the best man to advise if a doctor's appointment might be the best bet as well.

(Sorry Charles I dont want to swamp you down with unnecessary visitors either!)

I am independent now as I am no longer in practice although I am still on the active pharmacists register.

However maybe my colleagues will appreciate the work!

Archived