Pot Remains Class 'c'

cheesemonster2005

It seems that for once the politicians haven't made a knee-jerk decision and cannabis will remain as a class 'c' drug. Its use has fallen since it was changed from class 'b' to class 'b' under Blunkett's reign. Clarke says that although there are possible side-effects these are still small and its effect on society doesn't warrant a return to class 'b' status.

The Shadow Home Secretary has said cannabis is a GATEWAY DRUG (registered copyright of the Daily Mail). Surely the Tories should've learnt by now that that's just bullshit.

The Guardian

It seems that for once the politicians haven't made a knee-jerk decision and cannabis will remain as a class 'c' drug. Its use has fallen since it was changed from class 'b' to class 'b' under Blunkett's reign. Clarke says that although there are possible side-effects these are still small and its effect on society doesn't warrant a return to class 'b' status.

The Shadow Home Secretary has said cannabis is a GATEWAY DRUG (registered copyright of the Daily Mail). Surely the Tories should've learnt by now that that's just bullshit.

The Guardian

It's not been decriminalised, it's just been downgraded so that possession is not an arrestable offence.

(That's what 'Class C' means.)

Hence Tynwald rushing through the Arrestable Offences act, so that there was no effective change here.

Little known fact: In Amsterdam, pot is illegal. It's just tolerated.

Yey! A pot discussion.

I really thought they were going to reclassify it, glad to be proved wrong. Next downgrading: MDMA/ecstasy please!

Did the Government here actually rush through a change here so the law is different to that of the UK regarding cannabis? No-one seems to know if they did or not, or what the law is here.

I really thought they were going to reclassify it, glad to be proved wrong. Next downgrading: MDMA/ecstasy please!

I read somewhere that they are considering de-classifying ecstasy from A to B

They already have. In the UK at least. It happened at the same time as the cannabis 'reclassification'. They like to pretend it's not been decriminalised but everyone knows that it effectively has been as the police don't give a toss.

Isn't the only difference between A, B, C the severity of punishment you can receive. They're all technically illegal still, right? Not sure I'd be so delighted with a downgrade of, say, Ecstacy from A to B as doesn't it just mean you'll get less of a fine or prison time for possession?

I guess it means people are more prepared to take the risk, but you're still breaking the law.

Man, you really have a huge blind respect for the law don't you? A real square.

I have no respect for a law that I just happened to be born into and had no say upon. I live by my own moral code and not one imposed on me, so am not bothered about breaking it.

But as for the question, I guess so. If you believe that prison / punishment is the way to go when dealing with people possessing drugs for their own personal use then you could look at the issue in the black and white way you appear to be.

Personally (as I'm sure you've gathered) I am for the legalisation of all drugs, and don't believe punishing people who take them is in any way the right thing to do. So any downgrade is good in my eyes.

There are plenty of laws I don't agree with, but I recognise that the only solution is to campaign for them to be changed. The law is the law. If wanting to be law abiding is square, then sign me up. I realise that probably excludes me from being in your 'cool gang'.

You may choose to ignore certain laws, but I'm pretty sure they wont apply your own particular moral code when it comes to penalising you. Let's see how bothered you are about breaking it when you're fined, imprisoned and have a criminal record.

Saturday January 14, 2006

The Guardian

New scientific evidence suggests a causal link between cannabis use and long-term psychotic symptoms, according to the government's top drug advisory committee. But in a draft report to the home secretary, Charles Clarke, seen by the Guardian, the committee says that the risks are not high enough to support reclassification as class B.

The report says: "The [committee] considers that cannabis products should remain class C. At worst, the risk to an individual of developing a schizophreniform illness as a result of using cannabis is very small. The harmfulness of cannabis, to the individual, remains substantially less than the harmfulness caused by substances currently controlled under the act as class B."

Group trials

Study group: Swedish army conscripts

Size: Around 50,000

When: Originally 1988, but updated in 2002

Finding: Heavy cannabis users at 18 years old were 6.7 times more likely than non-users to be diagnosed with schizophrenia 27 years later.

Study group: Netherlands Mental Health Survey

Size: Around 4,000

When: 2002

Finding: Cannabis users nearly three times more likely to experience psychotic symptoms 3 years later.

Study group: New Zealand cohort studied for 20 years

Size: Around 1,000

When: 2003

Finding: Users dependent on cannabis at 18 were 3.7 times more likely to get psychotic symptoms.

Study group: Individuals born in Dunedin, New Zealand

Size: Around 750

When: 2002

Finding: 10.3% of cannabis users aged 15 were diagnosed with schizophrenia-like conditions at 26, against 3% of non-users.

Yep, even though it's downgraded it's still prohibited.

What changes is the punishment. The police in some counties will now not arrest for posession of 'own use' quantities of cannabis. This doesn't make it legal, and the guideline penalties are still severe, especially for supply quantities.

And to say you wont abide with a law just because you dont agree with it is lunacy. What if someone believes he has the right to have sex with whoever he wants regardless of their consent? That OK is it?

The problem with relying on an individuals moral code is that many people dont have one.

Oh, and from the Drug and Alchohol Strategy report 2004

The reclassification of cannabis from a Class B drug to a Class C drug was finally

introduced in the United Kingdom at the end of 2003 after much change of views and

last minute debate. The Island immediately adopted the change as this section of our

Act is tied in with that of the UK. Cannabis is now a Class C drug. In the Isle of Man,

The Criminal Justice (Arrestable Offences) Bill, 2004 mirrors UK legislation and adds the

possession of cannabis as an arrestable offence under the Island's Police Powers and

Procedures Act 1998. Therefore the mere possession of cannabis is an arrestable

offence, although the maximum punishment is now two years instead of five.

So it's as I said, you get two years less for being caught with hash. Not much of a change really and that ties with the recent cannabis prosecutions in the paper.

I live by my own moral code and not one imposed on me, so am not bothered about breaking it.

What a great outlook on life! I also live by my own moral code, which includes such hobbies as serial murder, armed robbery and rape.

I have no respect for laws that I just happened to be born into and had no say upon.

Tosh.

(My view - I would also like to see the de-criminalisation of some recreational drugs)

Erm, any drug user (of which there are millions, a third of the population according to recently published Govt figures) has chosen to ignore a law they don't agree with.

It may well be lunacy but it's also a fact of life.

Archived