Maybe This Will Shut Greenpeace Up

Our seas are now so over-populated with whales that one's gone to live in the Thames.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4631396.stm

A large whale has been spotted in the River Thames in central London by boaters and sightseers.

The mammal, thought to be a 17ft (5m) northern bottle-nosed whale, was seen swimming past the Houses of Parliament.

"I saw it blow, it was a spout of water which sparkled in the air," said Tom Howard-Vyne, who works at the London Eye, on the other side of the river.

The whale is believed to have travelled upstream passing the Thames Barrier on Thursday night or early on Friday.

'Breathing normally'

"It was on this side of Westminster Bridge and 10 minutes ago it was near the House of Commons, " said Mr Howard-Vyne. "It was an amazing sight."

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) sent a lifeboat to check up on the whale's condition.

The tide has now turned and rescuers hope the whale will find its own way back down river.

Reports of two whales in the Thames were first received on Thursday by the British Divers Marine Life group - but they only found one and thought it had passed the Thames Barrier.

It looks quite healthy and quite relaxed

Liz Sandeman

Marine Connection

But at 0830 GMT on Friday, a man on a train called in to say he might have been hallucinating, but he had just seen a whale in the Thames.

Liz Sandeman, a medic of the Marine Connection, a whale and dolphin protection charity, accompanied the RNLI to examine the animal.

"It looks quite healthy and quite relaxed," she said. "It's breathing normally and its weight seems good."

She said boats in the river could be a danger to the animal.

"There's also the noise which could affect it - the Thames is extremely busy. The last thing we want to do is stress the animal out.

"Some people think it has lost its way or is not feeling well, but it's very hard to say why it is here."

Over the years dolphins and seals have been spotted in the Thames. Sperm whales have been seen in the Thames Estuary and porpoises have feasted on fish near Vauxhall Bridge, in central London.

Despite the best en-Devereauxs of Speckled Frost, this forum is going downhill rapidly.

I don't want to carp, but 18 months ago, this thread would have been four pages long by now, full of puerile fishy puns.

The lack of humour these days is quite dis-turboting.

It's very sad. It makes me want to blubber.

Maybe it's time to think of balene out.

But I suppose I'll just get battered for spouting off like this.

Lost whale dies after rescue bid

A whale that became stranded in the River Thames has died after a massive rescue attempt to save its life.

The 18ft (5m) northern bottle-nosed whale was first spotted in the river on Friday and rescuers began an attempt to save it on Saturday morning.

But the whale died at about 1900 GMT on Saturday as rescuers transported it on a barge towards deeper water in the Thames Estuary.

Sadly, no Free Willy on this occasion...

All together now:

"Goodbye England's Whale

May you ever grow in our hearts

You were the grace that placed itself

Where lives were torn apart

You called out to our country

And you whispered to those in pain

Now you belong to heaven

And the stars spell out your name

And it seems to me you lived your life

Like a jobby in the Thames

Never knowing where to swim to