Homeless Folks In Mann

LoneWolf

Im a little surprised this hasnt been the subject of a thread already. if so my apologies and maybe one of the mods could move things about: thanks

This week's local rags reported a plea from Michael Moyle for assistance for the homeless in the Island.

They also reported a farmer as saying he had come across homeless people sleeping rough on his land.

I, obviously wrongly, had thought homelessness had disappeared on the Island. Is there nothing we could or should be doing ?

They also reported a farmer as saying he had come across homeless people sleeping rough on his land.

Well what would you say if you were caught in field full of sheep late at night in your boxers ;)

Well what would you say if you were caught in field full of sheep late at night in your boxers ;)

I thought it was only in Foxdale the sheep wore lipstick on a Friday night, not in Douglas.

Being serious, why has homelessness become such a big problem again and what can be done ?

What about the Sally army ? Should they be given money to build a hostel ?

i may get berated but no reason for vagrancy or being without a home in the iom unless you are an illegal alien

You are lazy fuckers who would rather drink than work. I have had to do shitty jobs I do not like

No fucking sympathy WATSOEVER !

not berating you, far from it.

do you have some evidence homeless people would all rather drink than work ?

i may get berated but no reason for vagrancy or being without a home in the iom unless you are an illegal alien

You are lazy fuckers who would rather drink than work. I have had to do shitty jobs I do not like

No fucking sympathy WATSOEVER !

not berating you, far from it.

do you have some evidence homeless people would all rather drink than work ?

If you show me one homeless person on the IOM actively looking for work who is not an alcoholic I will put them up in my spare room, give them a bath and make them a fry up in the morning

What really is terrible about this subject is we live on a island that is meant to be wealthy but we cannot spend on the people who really need it.

I personally would like to see some sort of charity set up so a hostle of some kind can be set up to get these people back on track.

Just imagine being in their shoes for a day or two, we are fast to judge these people but we are slow to help them. :(

As for the alcohohlics they are a lost cause, all the help in the world will not cure their problems i would give them state handouts of booze just to get rid of them

The Tool, I take your words wisely as you are a sensible fellow,

It just annoys me as there are jobs, for example... cleaning dishes at the sefton with live in accomodation etc etc

If it were me and you we would do it, if needs must, I CANNOT see any excuse for unemployment and ultimately homlessness, do shit jobs till something comes along,

As I say, respect your words but hope you know what i mean

I personally would like to see some sort of charity set up so a hostle of some kind can be set up to get these people back on track.

Sally Army maybe or some non religious group ?

iIonce knew a guy, he wasnt an alcoholic and he had a job, who had his children taken into care because him and his wife couldnt find rented accomodation which allowed children. They ended up camping in Hutchinson Square before they lost the kids. I thought those days had gone and I hope they have.

As for the alcohohlics they are a lost cause, all the help in the world will not cure their problems i would give them state handouts of booze just to get rid of them

I wish I could disagree with you. Not many folk are lucky enough to recover from being alcoholics.

One of our politicians, who shall remain nameless but once worked in Mental Health, told me that in all his time he had never had a success story regarding alcoholics.

They must need some shelter though ?

What really is terrible about this subject is we live on a island that is meant to be wealthy but we cannot spend on the people who really need it.

Just imagine being in their shoes for a day or two, we are fast to judge these people but we are slow to help them. :(

The vast majority of homeless people want to better themselves but for whatever reason cannot. It's our duty to help them.

As for alcoholics then more rehab clinics, bans from booze and other kinds of assistance would be great. Alcoholism can affect many people either because they have an addictive personality or because of other problems which have turned them to drink. You can't write them off - alcoholism is curable.

Haven't read the article, but there are people (probably not very many) who have decided not to live "mainstream" because they just cannot cope with it. They are not a drain on society because they are living on the outside. If you do not have a fixed place of abode then how can you claim benefits?

I believe that there are two classes of homeless: those who want to cash-in and those who just want out of it! The former do not have my sympathy, the latter, most likely, just want to be left alone.

Throughout the undergound in London you would see young girls with their very young children, begging, and it was heart-wrenching to see a child (either one!) in that state. But to give money would just perpetuate the habit that the mother, and the child sadly, already had. I once gave a young girl a sandwich; that didn't go down too well! She didn't even try to give it to her sunken-eyed child who was the main prop for her begging! It was sickening!

No, I have a sneaking respect for those that find society too much, but not for those who pillage it!

So you say this....

Followed immediately by this....

they are a lost cause, all the help in the world will not cure their problems i would give them state handouts of booze just to get rid of them

Which statement did you actually mean? You can't surely have meant both without being a hypocrite.

I don't know many people who are/have been alcoholics, but probably 2 out of 3ish that I know of strive and struggle continuously and seem to do rather well at avoiding the stuff but to you they're one as bad as the next and never make any effort to sort themselves out? What was that about judging people?

I don't know many people who are/have been alcoholics, but probably 2 out of 3ish that I know of strive and struggle continuously and seem to do rather well at avoiding the stuff but to you they're one as bad as the next and never make any effort to sort themselves out? What was that about judging people?

Cret, I dont think we know each other but you seem to talk a fair bit of sense.

Someone who used to be a friend of mine recently died of an alcoholic related condition.

I cant remember him drinking anymore than the rest of us when we were youngsters but it got a hold of him for whatever reason. Probably could happen to any of us and who is to say what or who is to blame. There for the grace of God and all that.

Doesnt get away from the problem tho. There seem to be homeless folks in the Island. Can anything be done ?

We need a hostel I guess. We have the David Grey house, but that is more a halfway house for those with problems than a homeless hostel.

As for this:

If you show me one homeless person on the IOM actively looking for work who is not an alcoholic I will put them up in my spare room, give them a bath and make them a fry up in the morning
what a laugh! There are many people as you describe, homeless people are not always on the streets, there are plenty who move from friend to friend's house whilst they try to sort out their lives and find work etc, often they manage it, sometimes they don't and end up sleeping rough on Douggie head or whatnot.

Was I the only one to be annoyed about some comeover farmer whose only been here five minutes shouting get off my land to the Manxies? Thought so!

And what was all this shit about finding a group of "foreign drug dealers"? How did he know? Why was this not reported? He claims to have removed their tent and "bag of narcotics" with his tractor - that would be illegal. I don't believe him.

Archived