Homeless Folks In Mann

LoneWolf

Well there has been a long histort of alcoholics in my family and none of them could control the habit which eventually killed them.

I have no sympathy at all for alcoholics because if you want to stop you stop, all this falling o the wagon is a cop out.

U need family surport but the person needs to want to do it, sadly a lot of them don't.

What we need a is somewhere for these people to be given the chance.

I am not against people with addictions i just think they need to help themselves.

Studmuffin i think we need to show compassion to these people but we also need to know when to stop giving it.

My uncle's an alcoholic and has been "homeless" for over ten years in the Isle of Man. Now that this has recently become a topic of discussion, it's interesting to hear some people's reactions. I can appreciate that not every "homeless" person is in a similar situation to him because I have had other people close to me lose everything and temporarily have no fixed abode.

At one of their last meetings in court, as Mr Moyle was sentencing my uncle, he said that society had failed him and he clearly needs help, in a mental health kind of way. At last somebody has realised this. We've thought that he's had mental health problems since he was 15 before his first special brew, but once somebody becomes an alcoholic that's it, nobody wants to know. The police see him as a joke figure and this has been reflected in newspaper articles regarding his less serious crimes over the years. We've done everything we can to help and everyone who knows us understands. I can't ever see him coming out the drinking/prison/finding God cycle, he'll never have a normal life because he's never had one.

Talk about sanctomony, if we are going to conceptualise homelessness with drink and drugs

then can we at least all stop pretending we give a toss about the welfare of the homeless. Reading these posts the implicit feeling seems that something should be done to just 'get rid' of these people.

It is almost offensive to have to hear from people their so-called genuine concern for the homeless and then just obliterate any sort of sincerity by tieing these people in with the problems of drink. Is it not more important to appreciate why they are homeless in the first place.

It isn't an easy life for a person who doesn't even have a roof above his head. Considering the social stigma and the difficulty in making a step into mainstream society by getting a home and a job does it surprise anybody that many homeless turn to drink and drugs. I think I would if I were homeless and too right would I spend what little money I had on getting wasted.

Talk about sanctomony, if we are going to conceptualise homelessness with drink and drugs

then can we at least all stop pretending we give a toss about the welfare of the homeless. Reading these posts the implicit feeling seems that something should be done to just 'get rid' of these people.

It is almost offensive to have to hear from people their so-called genuine concern for the homeless and then just obliterate any sort of sincerity by tieing these people in with the problems of drink. Is it not more important to appreciate why they are homeless in the first place.

It isn't an easy life for a person who doesn't even have a roof above his head. Considering the social stigma and the difficulty in making a step into mainstream society by getting a home and a job does it surprise anybody that many homeless turn to drink and drugs. I think I would if I were homeless and too right would I spend what little money I had on getting wasted.

I quite agree. For some drink and drugs may lead to homelessness but for others homelessness leads to drink and drugs. There are many reasons why people become homeless including relationship problems, debt, job loss and mental illness. These are all issues that aren't nice and are not something to be laughed at.

Some say there's nothing we can do for these people. Bollocks.

iIonce knew a guy, he wasnt an alcoholic and he had a job, who had his children taken into care because him and his wife couldnt find rented accomodation which allowed children. They ended up camping in Hutchinson Square before they lost the kids. I thought those days had gone and I hope they have.

Unfortunately too many landlords still say they won't allow children, so it can still be very difficult to find rented accommodation. Five of us have been squashed into a small 2 bedroom house for the past year, but luckily we seem to have found somewhere else so should be moving soon.

However, it has crossed my mind to either find a field to camp in, or get a loan for a camper van and live in that.

In this particular case you mention, it is disgusting that the children were taken into (what passes for "care"). Surely the government should address the problem of the excessive rents charged instead of breaking up a family. Too many people on this thread have automatically assumed that if you are homeless you must be unemployed and a drunk. It is possible that someone is an employed teetotaller, but being paid buttons, so is not eligible for a mortgage, and can't afford to pay off someone elses. There used to be rent control over here years ago, maybe it should be reintroduced at a sensible (for the tenant) rate.

Did this family ever get their children back? What an appalling situation for them.

A lot of people with flats have good reason for not allowing children, unless you have a lift installed there is no way someone can carry baby and pram down flights of steps.

Plus children are dirty, smelly and noisy for the neighbours.

I agree that case is a disgrace though, isn't this what public housing is for? It's really about time an overhaul of the public housiing system was implemented, too many people are taking up space in family homes when a one-bedroom flat would do them. Rents should be means-tested too.

A lot of people with flats have good reason for not allowing children, unless you have a lift installed there is no way someone can carry baby and pram down flights of steps.

Plus children are dirty, smelly and noisy for the neighbours.

I agree that case is a disgrace though, isn't this what public housing is for? It's really about time an overhaul of the public housiing system was implemented, too many people are taking up space in family homes when a one-bedroom flat would do them. Rents should be means-tested too.

I'm talking about people owning houses not wanting children in them.

My children are neither dirty, smelly nor noisy. I take it you don't have any children, and possibly weren't one yourself, unless you are basing your observation on yourself! :D

The problem with public housing is that there isn't enough to go round. Because people are being shafted by private landlords there is a massive waiting list, and people don't want to move back into the private renting market once they have a commissioner's house. And they don't want the hassle of a mortgage when they have such a huge amount of disposable income thanks to the extremely low rent they pay - many of them have all the mod-cons and then some!

I agree that there should be an overhaul though. If people are in a family-sized commissioner's house and their family grow up and leave home, then they should down-size accordingly. Unfortunately no local authority will implement this system.

your kids aren't noisy?!

what did ya do, cut out their vocal cords or something? ;)

love em or hate em, kids are dirty, they make mess, draw on walls, ruin furnishings, throw up on the carpet etc etc - from experiecne of kids many landlords banish them completely - why else do you think they say no kids?

I can see why people don't want to move out of their family home (memories etc), but as we're now implementing an overhaul of the corpy houses (ie pulrose) now is the perfect time to find people something more suitable...

they make mess, draw on walls, ruin furnishings, throw up on the carpet etc etc

Have to dispute this with you Alex, kids are untidy, but not necessarily dirty unless the parents allow them to be. My kids never drew on walls or ruined furnishings, nor have they thown up on the carpet since they were very small although, granted, they are heavier on things than adults.

The problem with children in rented accommodation really only arises where it is furnished. Some adults probably have a scanter regard for the contents of somewhere furnished and would not control and teach their kids to respect it. On the other hand if they had paid for the furnishings, they probably would exercise more discipline over their children. I can fully understand the prohibition on children in furnished rented accommodation, but not unfurnished.

Apart from that, your description is probably more accurate of students in rented accommodation!

they make mess, draw on walls, ruin furnishings, throw up on the carpet etc etc

Mine don't - and neither did I when I was a child.

Apart from that, your description is probably more accurate of students in rented accommodation!

Quite!

Archived