National Criminal Dna Database

Chinahand

My confidence in the forces of law and order to properly investigate crime and ensure that the guilty are caught and punished - rather than simply taking the easdiest option of sorting the figures out by prosecuting someone who seems a 'likely' suspect - is not exactly high.

When (if ever) we have a thoroughly professional, uncorrupt police force, I will possibly accept that I should be included on a national database. Until then - and since it's unlikely to happen in my lifetime - no thanks!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think we have to go back to basics and view the role of police and govt.

They both exist for our benefit and operate only with our consent.

We are slowly, by inches sliding into the situation where we will only be able to go about our daily business with the consent of our servants.

So many times i hear "it will make the polices job easier" bollocks!, they are employed by us to make our life easier not the reverse.

The first move of any repressive govt, compulsary id papers, All it will do is create yet another new offence to hammer the general public with.

I'm quite surprised how long this has taken to become an issue. It has been almost a year (maybe more) that the police have had the power to take DNA from anyone arrested. It doesnt matter whether no further action was taken, a caution, whatever, the DNA is retained.

Personally i have no issue with it. If it helps prevent just one murder, rape or such crime they can gladly have mine.

With any case, surely DNA would be used as further evidence and it alone is not enough to prosecute somebody, The fact that DNA could be mixed up and with millions and millions of people on a database the mixing up of DNA could be quite likely.

If every single person in the country was registered on a DNA database, the likelyhood of the Police being able to identify the culprit is increased by an order of magnitude.

It wouldn't stop a spur of the moment crime, or a crime of passion, but if someone planning a murder was told that there was was a massively increased risk of being caught, they may just think again.

Also, it could mean that a potential serial killer or rapist is caught after the first time, not by the tenth. I don't see why people are so against something which could be so useful, especially when their only defence seems to be some whine about 'freedom'. Pros kinda outweigh the cons here.

Some whine about freedom? are we not allowed an opinion but we are classed as whiners?

Get the police force to a level of trust then you can talk about personal data being held.

Why do you think the entire population hasnt been fingerprinted by now? cos its an intrusion not welcomed by the majority of the population, dna is no different

Some whine about freedom? are we not allowed an opinion but we are classed as whiners?

Until the claim is substatiated or at least explained, I'll carry on classing you as whiners personally. I've listed reasons in this thread why I think it's a good idea, whereas the anti-brigade are just waving vague claims of loss of freedom around without ever actually specifying what that means.

Why are there so many nasty shites on this forum?

I see, so because my opinion is different to yours and I question the motives behind you having what is essentially a populist view with no real meat to it, I'm a nasty shite? I didn't realise you were such a precious little flower.

I'm giving you the opportunity to explain why you're so against it, and apart from waving a vague flag for freedom in the air, without actually explaining why you're hoisting it, you're not taking it. Draw your own conclusion.

Ans is essentially correct here IMHO.

However there are some genuine fears regarding civil liberties and, if it hasnt been done already, these need to be addressed.

There is no reason a properly drafted and policed set of regulations would be unable to safeguard an individuals civil liberties.

Im all for it provided its use is tightly regulated.

There is no reason a properly drafted and policed set of regulations would be unable to safeguard an individuals civil liberties.

Im all for it provided its use is tightly regulated.

Absolutely. I wouldn't sign up to some shoddily run farce either, but provided it was regulated, audited and the database was secure, I don't see any of the negatives coming close to outweighing the positives.

Archived