Manx Are Benny From Crossroads!

Mr Woo

I've just read AA Gill's account of his recent visit to the Island (Sunday Times, Style magazine, Table Talk), and my ribs are aching from laughter. Maybe I should have felt outraged, but I have to report it struck me as hilarious and, tucked away in amongst all the invective and insults, he does say he loved it- bless him.

Some of his observations :

Every one you see is Benny from Crossroads.

Main industry is money (laundering, pressing, altering and mending)

We've been forced to give up public flogging and hunting homosexuals with dogs

Smells of boiled washing, damp wallpaper and fried food.

We eat deep fried cats tails and turnip

Fish come out of the sea ready Kippered thanks to the Sellafield effect.

However, Ciappelli's Restaurant is heaped with praise and gets a very rare 4 stars! Apart from that I think his article sets a challenge to those charged with branding the island.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've just read AA Gill's account of his recent visit to the Island (Sunday Times, Style magazine, Table Talk), and my ribs are aching from laughter. Maybe I should have felt outraged, but I have to report it struck me as hilarious and, tucked away in amongst all the invective and insults, he does say he loved it- bless him.

Some of his observations :

Every one you see is Benny from Crossroads.

Main industry is money (laundering, pressing, altering and mending)

We've been forced to give up public flogging and hunting homosexuals with dogs

Smells of boiled washing, damp wallpaper and fried food.

We eat deep fried cats's tails and turnip

Fish come out of the sea ready Kippered thanks to the Sellafield effect.

However, Ciappelli's Restaurant is heaped with praise and gets a very rare 4 stars! Apart from that I think his article sets a challenge to those charged with branding the island.

What a ridiculous statement.

I can't stand turnip

AA Gill was writing about the Channel Islands and how they profited from the Second World War.

He mentions the Island at War series and acknowledges the series was made in the Isle of Man

The comments in the paper follow a television programme about life in the Channel Islands during World War II.

Gill, said islanders "lay on their backs and made moaning noises" when the Germans arrived.

According to Mr Gill, Island at War was actually filmed in the Isle of Man, "because the Channel Islanders have some weird rule about acting in public or that nobody outside the Bailiwick is allowed to own a camera."

The writer claimed that all the Channel Islands have given to the rest of the world is expensive potatoes, a few flowers and fatty milk.

Article is here BBC News Item but isn't half as funny as the Isle of Man piece though :D

I have to say that I was doing loads of LOL.

It seems he's not bothered who he offends.

Two years ago, Sunday Times journalist AA Gill was reported to police for inciting racial hatred after labelling the Welsh "ugly, pugnacious little trolls".

At the time, a dossier of articles by the Sunday Times critic was presented to officers by a collection of angry Welsh people who claimed his "unbridled bigotry" was damaging the nation's image and was pandering to racists.

Ioan Richard, 53, an independent councillor in Swansea, said: "Enough is enough; this man and his newspaper have been abusing this country and its people in the most insulting manner.

source

The irony of objecting to be called a pugnacious little troll by complaining to the police seems to have been lost on certain Welsh people.

Isn't AA Gill Jeremy Clarkson's mate from Grumpy Old Men?

Yes, they are mates and recently visited Iraq, I also seem to remember they had a gallivant together in Iceland. I entertained two different theories from this. One, that Gill was winding Clarkson up for having the gall to need to live on a tax haven or secondly that Gill was saying on his friends behalf what Clarkson couldn't if he wished to be able to walk down the street without being pelted with turnips, dog turds and the like.

Archived