Manx Are Benny From Crossroads!

Mr Woo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You've never heard of a 'Benny Hat'?

Are you aware of the modern invention known as Television?

We have television here in Somerset.

I've never watched a soap in my life so have no idea about any characters or soap stars. Is watching soaps a requirement in Manx?

If you know A A Gill, his phrase "Metropolitan smirk" sums him up perfectly.

Real people no longer read the Sunday Times, so that's all right then.

I enjoy AA Gill. I think he writes well. And I like that gonzo thing of using a restaurant review to write about lots of other things.

That Metropolitan smirk is a very self conscious device IMO. He writes in character, I think.

Pam Crowe MLC is winging on Manx Radio about AA Gill's 'derogatory' piece. She is going to make contact with him and invite him back over and show him what the Island is 'really' like.

I would advise him to take up the offer. Judging fom this article (which had me in stitches), he would be given the opportunity to write probably the funniest book ever written. And this would indeed be the best thing ever for Isle of Man tourism. :)

(edited to change AA Milne to AA Gill . . . .oops)

God I was hopeing nobody would rise to the bait. I don't think it did the Channel Islands any good to spread the idea that they greeted the Germans with open legs to wider populace by kicking up a fuss. But if someone was daft enough not to get the joke Mrs Bucket was the prime candidate. Why can't we just laugh at it an move on, after all being compared to a kind hearted simpleton like Benny from Crossroads isn't too bad.

It was the thought of the chappie from one of the English newspaper being shown around, for example, a Tynwald meeting. Men in wigs. Men sleeping. Peter Karran providing the finer points of his debating skills etc.

I remember my great uncle showing someone around the Island and when night time came the highlight of the tour was earnestly driving up Richmond Hill to show them the cats eyes in the road which had recently been installed.

Archived