Bidding War For Strand Street Braodcasting Rights

manxchatterbox

Douglas Corpy minutes reveal that MR paid £500 quid as a fee to use the Starnd Street speaker system to "broadcast" through over Christmas and that MR would donate its profits on the deal to the Rotary Reindeer Christmas Appeal...and that "the situation" be reviewed ahead of 2006.....isn't it about time that the Corpy got a bit more commercially minded so that if shoppers have to listen to some radio gagga then the best deal for the ratepayers is made...competitive tendering....at the very least all three radio stations should be asked to tender and the highest bidder wins...and shouldn't the Corpy offer the equipment for "broadcasting" to Strand Street during TT week??

What's wrong with the usual deluge of outdated christmas songs? As a kid I preferred to listen to christmas music while out christmas shopping insted of a constant repetative loop of adverts for hair salons and "sexed up" tyre replacements.

Maybe the others don't want to? It's a lot of work for no profit I guess.

But no, Manx Radio is the people's radio station, the official radio station and the national radio station. the others are just commercial enterprises churning out shit.

I think the point is... were the other radio stations even given a look in???

...and if the availability was open to bidding then the true value of the opportunity to advertise would be realised.....as a benefit to Douglas ratepayers....

who cares what it costs the winner and what they broadcast..... just so long as it doesn't cost the Corpy....

wonder what 3FM and Energy thought about the situation???

Maybe the others don't want to? It's a lot of work for no profit I guess.

But no, Manx Radio is the people's radio station, the official radio station and the national radio station. the others are just commercial enterprises churning out shit.

no longer on the islaqnd, but from what I recall, the only station churning out shit was manx radio. The Moaning Line anyone?(you a regular Alex?) Ringo Bingo?

The more serious issue is being in a public space and having to listen to the radio.

I don't want to be bombarded with anything I don't want to hear. If I'm in a shop and the music's on, I can walk out. Take note, River Island.

But if I'm in a public space, I should not be subjected to unwanted noise.

What's wrong with nothing?

Yes that's a very serious issue. :rolleyes:

It was just a way to make some money for charity I think, what with it being Christmas and all.

I quite liked hearing Christmas songs in the street, and surely we can all put up with the odd advert if the profit's going to charity...

I quite liked hearing Christmas songs in the street, and surely we can all put up with the odd advert if the profit's going to charity...

Gosh you were lucky, I walked through town, in and out of shops and heard nothing but "Hi this is Stu Peters from manx radio..." Hi this is Chris Williams from Manx Radio..." " Hi this is Chris Kinley from Manx Radio..." I think the key issue with the provider was to get the words "Manx Radio" in as much as possible along with very little Christmas music and as many adverts as possible.

Some town centres have been playing classical music of a night time and it has cut vandalism and other crimes. Maybe that is the direction they should take with it.

Archived