Where Did George Bernard Shaw Live And Drink

manxchatterbox

From the Gruiniad...

"George Bernard Shaw was elected to St Pancras borough council in London in 1903, but immediately set about campaigning for the borough council to be abolished. Walter Greenwood was encouraged to stand for Salford council in 1935. In 1934, he had published His Worship The Mayor, another of that protected species of novels set in local politics. But in 1936 he resigned from the council and retired to the Isle of Man to write Love On The Dole".

Hemmingway made famous Sloppy Joe's in Havanna, the Chicote in Madrid and Captain Tony's on Greene Street in Key West...can't we claim anywhere famous for GBS???

From the Gruiniad...

"George Bernard Shaw was elected to St Pancras borough council in London in 1903, but immediately set about campaigning for the borough council to be abolished. Walter Greenwood was encouraged to stand for Salford council in 1935. In 1934, he had published His Worship The Mayor, another of that protected species of novels set in local politics. But in 1936 he resigned from the council and retired to the Isle of Man to write Love On The Dole".

Hemmingway made famous Sloppy Joe's in Havanna, the Chicote in Madrid and Captain Tony's on Greene Street in Key West...can't we claim anywhere famous for GBS???

Walter Greenwood wrote Love on the Dole.

More classic MCB - you can't even read your own quotes.

JP Dunleavy used to take the odd tipple in what is now known as o'Donnells.

You would have a hard time promoting that s***h*** tho

Did he really? What was the pub called then, the Old Curiosity Shop?

I loved "The Onion Eaters" (or have I got the wrong author?)!

JP Dunleavy used to take the odd tipple in what is now known as o'Donnells.

You would have a hard time promoting that s***h*** tho

Did he really? What was the pub called then, the Old Curiosity Shop?

I loved "The Onion Eaters" (or have I got the wrong author?)!

Right about the pub, right about the author and yes he really did :rolleyes:

Not sure what he was doing over here. He was either a frequent visitor or a temporary resident.

My parents always argued about the Rest and Be Thankful. My father, who was Irish, swore blind it was a pub, my mother who is Manx said it wasn't! I always remember the end of the argument was my father saying, "Well, it should have been, after that bloody climb!" It happened everytime we went past it!

even better...excellent information...looks like a promising tourist tour already....can anybody else contribute...see what happens when people contribute ideas in one place... of things that by there own seem irrelevant...who else has some other literary knowledge about well known visitors to the IOM....

Arnold Bennett included the Isle of Man in many of his books - Anna of Five Towns has a chapter set in Port Erin, there's a wonderful short story called Under the Clock in which the Island features. I guess he must have been a visitor to the Island.

John Betjamin was a regular visitor, and described the Island as a microcosm of Western Civilization "all human life is there".

Hall Caine lived on the Island, and wrote The Manxman and The Deemster, amongst others about the Island. Although his star has set now he was a major author around the turn of the 20th centuary.

In Jasper Fforde's Something Rotten, Laxey is the headquarters Goliath Corporation, an evil multinational with supra-govermental powers and asperations to become a consumer driven religious entity. The Island's 200,000 residents do nothing "but support, or support the support of the one enterprise that dominated the small island" so no change there. Although Manxchatterbox and Sir Dick will be pleased to know Douglas Sea Terminal is connected to New York by gravitube. Renamed Goliathopolis, Laxey is the Hong Kong of the British Isles - "a forrest of glassy towers stretching up the hillside to Snaefell". So visitors drawn to the Island by this book might be disappointed to find an electric railway and a waterwheel.

Archived